Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Chris Anderson <jc...@grabb.it> on 2008/05/22 06:07:39 UTC

Re: Changes in trunk

These are good changes, and it's important to have the same API for
views and temp views.

Question: are there plans to allow access to the results of the map
stage of a map/reduce pair? It would certainly be helpful for
debugging, and I can imagine circumstances where one might want to use
both of them in an application, while avoiding the overhead of
duplicate map functions. Further over the horizon I imagine sharing
maps among reduce functions - maybe the reduce key could optionally
support an array of reduce functions, rather than just the string.

Looking forward to specifying start and end keys for the reductions,
so we can really see what they can do!

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: Changes in trunk

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey Chris,
On May 22, 2008, at 06:07, Chris Anderson wrote:

> These are good changes, and it's important to have the same API for
> views and temp views.
>
> Question: are there plans to allow access to the results of the map
> stage of a map/reduce pair? It would certainly be helpful for
> debugging, and I can imagine circumstances where one might want to use
> both of them in an application, while avoiding the overhead of
> duplicate map functions.

That was my first question, too! :)

You need to create a second design document that has
only a map function to get that. But if you create that map
function as a byte-for-byte exact copy of a map function
that already exists in a map/reduce view, CouchDB will
re-use the existing index. So you can't avoid the duplicate
map function, but you can avoid the duplicate view index.

Cheers
Jan