Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2019/10/29 09:06:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Hi guys,

For some months now, Romain and I worked on a PoC named Winegrower.

Winegrower provides three modules:

1. a Java runtime with OSGi programming model with a flat/single
classloader.

2. Winegrower "Cepages" are extensions (similar to spring-boot starter)
that allows you to easily add flavors to your applications running with
Winegrower.

3. Java agent to add winegrower at low level and get turnkey feature
like monitoring, etc.

We think Winegrower would be a great addition to Karaf for two reasons:

1. It's a first implementation about a flat/single classloader approach
for OSGi. I know OSGi Alliance (and especially Ray) is thinking about that.

2. It's a great start to provide better tooling around OSGi and Karaf.
The idea is to have

Just to be clear, you can develop an application and test it with
Winegrower. Then, you can run the application using a simple JVM with
the Winegrower Ripener or deploy in Karaf, it's up to you, depending of
the use case.

The current Winegrower codebase is there:

https://github.com/jbonofre/winegrower

You can take a look on the README and the examples.

We also deployed a quick website: https://jbonofre.github.io/winegrower/

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB & Romain

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1, I would add that it also enables OSGi programming model (anything but
classloading) to go native with graal which is something which can be worth
these k8s days.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yeah, it's more then just the single classpath. The "cepage"/extension
are also key, the agent is also very interesting.
I also think it's a good codebase for Karaf tooling.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

chris@die-schneider.net>:

> Winegrower sounds similar to felix connect (aka pojo sr).
> Can you elaborate how it is different?
>
> Christian
>
> Am Di., 29. Okt. 2019 um 10:16 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> jb@nanthrax.net>:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> For some months now, Romain and I worked on a PoC named Winegrower.
>>
>> Winegrower provides three modules:
>>
>> 1. a Java runtime with OSGi programming model with a flat/single
>> classloader.
>>
>> 2. Winegrower "Cepages" are extensions (similar to spring-boot starter)
>> that allows you to easily add flavors to your applications running with
>> Winegrower.
>>
>> 3. Java agent to add winegrower at low level and get turnkey feature
>> like monitoring, etc.
>>
>> We think Winegrower would be a great addition to Karaf for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. It's a first implementation about a flat/single classloader approach
>> for OSGi. I know OSGi Alliance (and especially Ray) is thinking about
>> that.
>>
>> 2. It's a great start to provide better tooling around OSGi and Karaf.
>> The idea is to have
>>
>> Just to be clear, you can develop an application and test it with
>> Winegrower. Then, you can run the application using a simple JVM with
>> the Winegrower Ripener or deploy in Karaf, it's up to you, depending of
>> the use case.
>>
>> The current Winegrower codebase is there:
>>
>> https://github.com/jbonofre/winegrower
>>
>> You can take a look on the README and the examples.
>>
>> We also deployed a quick website: https://jbonofre.github.io/winegrower/
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB & Romain

> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Computer Scientist
> http://www.adobe.com

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

jb@nanthrax.net>:

> Hi guys,
>
> For some months now, Romain and I worked on a PoC named Winegrower.
>
> Winegrower provides three modules:
>
> 1. a Java runtime with OSGi programming model with a flat/single
> classloader.
>
> 2. Winegrower "Cepages" are extensions (similar to spring-boot starter)
> that allows you to easily add flavors to your applications running with
> Winegrower.
>
> 3. Java agent to add winegrower at low level and get turnkey feature
> like monitoring, etc.
>
> We think Winegrower would be a great addition to Karaf for two reasons:
>
> 1. It's a first implementation about a flat/single classloader approach
> for OSGi. I know OSGi Alliance (and especially Ray) is thinking about that.
>
> 2. It's a great start to provide better tooling around OSGi and Karaf.
> The idea is to have
>
> Just to be clear, you can develop an application and test it with
> Winegrower. Then, you can run the application using a simple JVM with
> the Winegrower Ripener or deploy in Karaf, it's up to you, depending of
> the use case.
>
> The current Winegrower codebase is there:
>
> https://github.com/jbonofre/winegrower
>
> You can take a look on the README and the examples.
>
> We also deployed a quick website: https://jbonofre.github.io/winegrower/
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB & Romain

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

According to the positive feedbacks and good open discussion, I will
move forward with a formal vote.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

from my side. Sounds promising :)

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member
Project Lead

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Romain and Francois,

thanks for the hints, will check it out and probably its still me just being to unwhise about Karaf.

Julian

Am 30.10.19, 14:46 schrieb "Francois Papon" <fr...@openobject.fr>:

    Hi Julian,

    May be the things you are looking for is more like Karaf-Boot?

    https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf-boot

    regards,

    François
    fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi Julian,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

That's because your feature is incomplete.

If you don't use resources or caps/reqs, your feature has to be complete
to resolve your bundle.

I guess you are talking mostly about missing import.

If you create a feature with all deps and transitive (that's easy to
do), then it should work straight forward.

In Winegrower or using the simple resolver, it will go straight.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julian,

If missing about an optional dependency or so it likely sounds a bug either
in the feature design or packaging.
Winegrower using a flat classloader can fully rely on maven/gradle/whatever
dependency management+packaging and therefore will just rely on poms
(likely of caves) as spring does with its starters so sounds iso there.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julian,

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Patrique Legault <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
*Patrique Legault*

Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
+1