Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org> on 2024/01/14 13:51:54 UTC

Personal feedback to your voting practice

Hi all,

as part of my reviews of your board report in preparation of the upcoming board meeting, I usually also have a look at the processes in the projects. I did notice here that you seem to be voting as if the VOTE email itself counts as an implicit +1 vote. However this is not the case. We don't have such a thing as an implicit vote.

I myself have probably voted on more of my own PRs with -1 than I have on others.

So could you please do one of the two:
- Explicitly have the RM cast a vote (the option I would prefer to see)
- Add an explicit vote to the original VOTE email (by adding something like: "This also counts as my +1" to the email)

Thanks,
     Chris

PS: Please CC me if you reply to this email as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Re: Personal feedback to your voting practice

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chistopher,

first point, we don't have a RM per se. The one pushing the release is
responsible for it, but that can be anyone. But that's not important.

Personally, when I push a release and call for a vote, I wait until we
have enough binding +1 vote to close the vote (and of course I wait for
the 3 days period to end). Then in my vote closing mail, I list the
votes, separating the binding votes and the non-binding votes.

Then if the number of binding votes is >= 3, I call it a release.

But I usually count me as a binding vote explicitely on the closing
mail, like:

"Hi!

I therefore close this vote, completed with 3 bidning +1:
- Colm
- Shawn
- and me.
"

(The latest Apache DS release).

I consider the 'and me' as an explicit vote, even if I haven't sent a
"+1" mail aside.

Anyway, I don't think we have any rule that implies we *must* cast an
explicit vote as a separate mail as a reponse to the calling mail, as
soon as we *know* who voted.

What is important is to know who are the 3 (or more) binding votes, not
that we have one mail par vote, IMHO.

I would never send a closing vote mail without listing the people who
voted the release, that would defeat the purpose of the ASF rule of 3+
binding votes for a release.

On 14/01/2024 14:51, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as part of my reviews of your board report in preparation of the upcoming board meeting, I usually also have a look at the processes in the projects. I did notice here that you seem to be voting as if the VOTE email itself counts as an implicit +1 vote. However this is not the case. We don't have such a thing as an implicit vote.
>
> I myself have probably voted on more of my own PRs with -1 than I have on others.
>
> So could you please do one of the two:
> - Explicitly have the RM cast a vote (the option I would prefer to see)
> - Add an explicit vote to the original VOTE email (by adding something like: "This also counts as my +1" to the email)
>
> Thanks,
>       Chris
>
> PS: Please CC me if you reply to this email as I'm not subscribed to the list.

*Emmanuel Lécharny* P. +33 (0)6 08 33 32 61
elecharny@apache.org

Re: Personal feedback to your voting practice

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

> On Jan 14, 2024, at 7:51 AM, Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> as part of my reviews of your board report in preparation of the upcoming board meeting, I usually also have a look at the processes in the projects. I did notice here that you seem to be voting as if the VOTE email itself counts as an implicit +1 vote. However this is not the case. We don't have such a thing as an implicit vote.
>
> I myself have probably voted on more of my own PRs with -1 than I have on others.
>
> So could you please do one of the two:
> - Explicitly have the RM cast a vote (the option I would prefer to see)
> - Add an explicit vote to the original VOTE email (by adding something like: "This also counts as my +1" to the email)

Hello Chris,

We’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

—
Shawn