Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Glanville, Jay" <Ja...@NaturalConvergence.com> on 2004/04/05 11:54:09 UTC

problems updating a single file

Hello all.  I have a problem that I'm hoping the user community can help
me with.  There is one particular file that never cleanly updates.
Every time I try to perform an 'update' command on one of it's parent
directories, I get a 'Access is denied' error.  The only way that I can
update that directory is to delete it, perform a cleanup, and then
perform an update again.

Why might this be happening?  One possible reason is that there is a
process currently running that is accessing the file.  Or, on windows
systems, just having a browser open to that directory can cause delete
errors.  However, I don't believe that I have any processes holding on
to the file (I've already shut down the database engine that uses it)
and no browsers open.  I can repeat this problem just after bootup.

Any other suggestions as to why SVN can't update this file?

I've included a transcript of what I have to do every time I want to do
an update on this system.

I'm using SVN 1.0.0, using the command-line client, on a Windows 2000
with all service packs installed, and cygwin bash shell.

JDG

JayG@NCIDev7 /e/Projects/VoiceAnyware/Development
$ svn up
U  WebAdmin\Source\ncitelco\search.jsp
U  WebAdmin\Source\WEB-INF\struts-config.xml
svn: In directory 'Common/Database/createdb/scripts'
svn: Can't move 'Common/Database/createdb/scripts/nci.log.tmp' to
'Common/Database/createdb/scripts/nci.log': Access is denied.

JayG@NCIDev7 /e/Projects/VoiceAnyware/Development
$ svn cleanup
svn: In directory 'Common/Database/createdb/scripts'
svn: Can't move 'Common/Database/createdb/scripts/nci.log.2.tmp' to
'Common/Database/createdb/scripts/nci.log': Access is denied.

JayG@NCIDev7 /e/Projects/VoiceAnyware/Development
$ rm -rf Common/Database/createdb/scripts

JayG@NCIDev7 /e/Projects/VoiceAnyware/Development
$ svn cleanup

JayG@NCIDev7 /e/Projects/VoiceAnyware/Development
$ svn up
A  Common\Database\createdb\scripts
A  Common\Database\createdb\scripts\nci.log
A  Common\Database\createdb\scripts\nci.db
A  Common\Database\createdb\scripts\build.xml

--
Jay Glanville

Re: problems updating a single file

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On Apr 5, 2004, at 21:36, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>  and possibly text/binary issues.

The company I work for uses CVS and we do dev work on Windows.  People
used to use Cygwin, native command line and WinCVS clients - sometimes
all of them on the same working copy.  This caused unbelievable issues
with CR/LFs in text files until we figured out what was going on.

--
Jeremy Pereira                             Tel: +44 (0)1252 401035
Senior Consultant                       Mobile: +44 (0)7884 265457

Re: problems updating a single file

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 15:28, Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> Aside from actual experience with "random problems", do you have any
> insight as to why this might be?  I frequently use cygwin, however, I've
> been using the native win32 svn executable and have not had any
> problems.  Am I just lucky so far?  To my knowledge you can run any sort
> of standard win32 executable in the cygwin bash shell, either console or
> windowed apps.  But actual experience trumps "to my knowledge" any day :)

I'd have to search the last year or two of mailing lists to remember
specifics.  I recall people discovering that cygwin "mount points"
(/cygdrive/) not working properly with the native win32 APR stuff.
Forward and backward slashes tend to get mixed up as well, and possibly
text/binary issues.  I think there may have been problem with console
encodings too.  Anyone else remember specific problems?

Re: problems updating a single file

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
> > 2. it's dangerous to run the svn commandline binary in cygwin; it's not
> > a native cygwin program, but rather a "true" win32 console application.
> > Don't mix and match universes here:  we've seen lots of random problems
> > when people do that.  Run a *cygwin*-compiled svn client in cygwin, and
> > the win32 console client in the win32 console.
>
> Aside from actual experience with "random problems", do you have any
> insight as to why this might be?  I frequently use cygwin, however, I've
> been using the native win32 svn executable and have not had any
> problems.  Am I just lucky so far?  To my knowledge you can run any sort
> of standard win32 executable in the cygwin bash shell, either console or
> windowed apps.  But actual experience trumps "to my knowledge" any day :)

I think I've seen this behavior:

I have not expirienced it myself but I've spent a long time helping debug
a remote user and when she ran it natively in windows it worked fine but
when she ran it (svn) in cygwin it would lock up.

I couldn't duplicate it on my XP (SP1) machine, but her XP (SP1) machine
would lock up regularly (actually just the svn command, svn cleanup
would "fix" the working copy after that happened).

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: problems updating a single file

Posted by Johnathan Corgan <jc...@aeinet.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> 2. it's dangerous to run the svn commandline binary in cygwin; it's not
> a native cygwin program, but rather a "true" win32 console application.
> Don't mix and match universes here:  we've seen lots of random problems
> when people do that.  Run a *cygwin*-compiled svn client in cygwin, and
> the win32 console client in the win32 console.

Aside from actual experience with "random problems", do you have any
insight as to why this might be?  I frequently use cygwin, however, I've
been using the native win32 svn executable and have not had any
problems.  Am I just lucky so far?  To my knowledge you can run any sort
of standard win32 executable in the cygwin bash shell, either console or
windowed apps.  But actual experience trumps "to my knowledge" any day :)

-Johnathan

Re: problems updating a single file

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 06:54, Glanville, Jay wrote:

> I'm using SVN 1.0.0, using the command-line client, on a Windows 2000
> with all service packs installed, and cygwin bash shell.

Two possible culprits here:

1. as you say, some other process might be tampering with the .tmp
file.  Very likely a virus scanner of some sort.  We've seen that
before.

Posted by Arild Fines <ar...@broadpark.no>.
Glanville, Jay wrote:
> Why might this be happening?  One possible reason is that there is a
> process currently running that is accessing the file.  Or, on windows
> systems, just having a browser open to that directory can cause delete
> errors.  However, I don't believe that I have any processes holding on
> to the file (I've already shut down the database engine that uses it)
> and no browsers open.  I can repeat this problem just after bootup.

Get either handle.exe or Process Viewer from www.sysinternals.com

These programs will will tell you which processes have open handles to a
specific file.

--
Arild

AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/ankhsvn

"We've got to find out what people want from fire, how they relate to it,
what sort of image it has for them.' The crowd were tense. They were
expecting something wonderful from Ford.`Stick it up your nose,' he
said.`Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know,' insisted the
girl, `Do people want fire that can be fitted nasally?'"