Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2010/06/30 14:38:05 UTC

documentation effort: state of affairs

This is just to keep you up-to-date to what I'm doing. Ideas and suggestions are most welcome.

I've finished porting the 5.1 reference documentation and the cookbok to confluence. This was a
matter of using a doxia converter and some additional regexps to clean up things. Importing the
stuff into confluence had to be done manually though.

I'm now investigating how to keep the documentation in sync with our releases so that people
interested in the current documentation, the documentation for a specific version and people
interested in the differences between two versions all find what they need. My initial idea was that
we could do with some macros that mark parts of the documentation as deprecated or add a "since"
information to it. I fear that this will make the documentation unreadable though as features are
added, changed and removed. People looking for documentation on a specific version will have to
ignore the parts talking about deprecation or addition of features not applicable to their version
of the product. Or we have to support that by hiding the unnecessary information by means of
javascript or something. All that is cumbersome to the reader though.

An easier approach would be to not put the reference documentation into confluence but maintain it
in svn where it would live the same lifecycle as the product itself. This will make it a bit harder
to maintain for the documentation authors though.

Right now I am favouring the second approach where we put the reference documentation (i.e. the user
guide) into svn and have tutorials and cookbook articles in confluence. I will work on that in the
next days.

Cheers,

Uli

Re: documentation effort: state of affairs

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
See, that just seems like the status quo, which has a proven record of
not being good enough.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> +1 for non-confluence approach
>
> I really think our efforts should target the user even if it's a bit harder
> for potential contributors.
>
> On 01.07.2010 10:56, Christophe Cordenier wrote:
>>
>> +1 for Confluence approach

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: documentation effort: state of affairs

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.
I believe it's extremely important that the documentation system is friendly
to authors. User friendly docs are nice, updated and relevant docs are
better.

Posted by Robin Komiwes <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Christophe Cordenier <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Confluence approach

Christophe Cordenier.

Committer on Apache Tapestry 5
Co-creator of wooki @wookicentral.com

Re: documentation effort: state of affairs

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
+1 Confluence approach

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> I think the choice we have to make is whether we want to make the
> documentation easy to maintain and set the barrier for potential
> contributors as low as possible, at the same time making it a bit harder for
> users to get documentation for their specific version (Confluence approach)
> or whether we want to give users documentation for their specific version
> where we can also keep the documentation for older versions updated, at the
> same time making it a bit harder for the authors (svn + some documentation
> build tool).
>
> On 30.06.2010 18:45, Piero Sartini wrote:
>>
>> This could work using the "Copy Space Plugin".
>>
>> https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/CPSP/Confluence+Copy+Space+Plugin
>>
>> We would end up with different spaces:
>> TAP5 could be the trunk,
>> TAP51, TAP52, etc the snapshots.
>>
>>            Piero
>>
>> 2010/6/30 Howard Lewis Ship<hl...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> What about a way to snapshot the current documentation?  So we could
>>> snapshot the current state as "5.1", then start updating it. When 5.2
>>> goes final we could snapshot that as "5.2".  I.e., tree it a bit like
>>> SVN, but inside Confluence.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: documentation effort: state of affairs

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Indeed. Very good, I'll grant him access as soon as I know his confluence account name.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I believe Robin has already filed his CLA.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> Very well... What needs to be done now then is to move the documentation for
> the various submodules to confluence. Maybe I'll also create a separate
> space for the documentation, that will make it easier to give access to
> contributors that aren't supposed to edit the site itself. I think I'll
> begin with that tomorrow.
>
> Another thing that needs to be done quite soon is incoroporating the new
> logo into the layout and update the layout so that the documentation looks
> nice. Robin, can you work on that? I'd also really appreciate it if you
> could file a CLA, that will help avoid IP and licensing issues and I can
> then grant you access to the new site and documentation so that you can work
> directly on it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Uli
>
> On 01.07.2010 19:21, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>>
>> +1 for Confluence approach. Readable guide even with minor
>> inconsistencies between versions is more important to users than the
>> *potential* for version exactness. The great danger is that the
>> version-specific docs still won't be kept up-to-date in which case its
>> worse than the Confluence approach. Javadocs is the ultimate reference
>> documentation for a particular version - no need to duplicate what's
>> in the Javadocs.
>>
>> Kalle
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Ulrich Stärk<ul...@spielviel.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the choice we have to make is whether we want to make the
>>> documentation easy to maintain and set the barrier for potential
>>> contributors as low as possible, at the same time making it a bit harder
>>> for
>>> users to get documentation for their specific version (Confluence
>>> approach)
>>> or whether we want to give users documentation for their specific version
>>> where we can also keep the documentation for older versions updated, at
>>> the
>>> same time making it a bit harder for the authors (svn + some
>>> documentation
>>> build tool).

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: documentation effort: state of affairs

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Piero Sartini <ps...@sartini-its.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Unfortunately Confluence doesn't support this. The only thing we could do is create a completely new
space with the contents of the old one. But then we would just mimic the behaviour of SVN with a
tool that isn't made for that purpose.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
What about a way to snapshot the current documentation?  So we could
snapshot the current state as "5.1", then start updating it. When 5.2
goes final we could snapshot that as "5.2".  I.e., tree it a bit like
SVN, but inside Confluence.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> This is just to keep you up-to-date to what I'm doing. Ideas and suggestions
> are most welcome.
>
> I've finished porting the 5.1 reference documentation and the cookbok to
> confluence. This was a matter of using a doxia converter and some additional
> regexps to clean up things. Importing the stuff into confluence had to be
> done manually though.
>
> I'm now investigating how to keep the documentation in sync with our
> releases so that people interested in the current documentation, the
> documentation for a specific version and people interested in the
> differences between two versions all find what they need. My initial idea
> was that we could do with some macros that mark parts of the documentation
> as deprecated or add a "since" information to it. I fear that this will make
> the documentation unreadable though as features are added, changed and
> removed. People looking for documentation on a specific version will have to
> ignore the parts talking about deprecation or addition of features not
> applicable to their version of the product. Or we have to support that by
> hiding the unnecessary information by means of javascript or something. All
> that is cumbersome to the reader though.
>
> An easier approach would be to not put the reference documentation into
> confluence but maintain it in svn where it would live the same lifecycle as
> the product itself. This will make it a bit harder to maintain for the
> documentation authors though.
>
> Right now I am favouring the second approach where we put the reference
> documentation (i.e. the user guide) into svn and have tutorials and cookbook
> articles in confluence. I will work on that in the next days.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Uli

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry