Posted to jcs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by jacob_ac <aj...@techmahindra.com> on 2007/06/19 11:40:21 UTC

Thread pool configuration

Can you please explain how do we use the boundarySize property along with
whenBlockedPolicy for thread pool configuration? I couldn't understand it
well and couldn't find much help on this.

How does maxActive configuration relate to event queue? I found that it
affected the performance of the cache.

Thanks,
Jacob

Re: Thread pool configuration

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.
Units of work are passed into the thread pool which
executes them.  The pool is fronted by a queue.  If
useBoundary is true, the thread pool will set a limit
to the number of items it will queue.  The thread pool
also has a limit on the number of threads that it will
use to process units of work.  You should wonder: what
happens when the queue limit is reached and the
maximum number of threads have been created?  Well,
the answer is the whenBlockedPolicy setting.  Your
primary options are to run in the current thread,
force the caller to block until the item can be queue,
or drop the oldest item in the queue.

Aaron Smuts