Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by rocky muscles <ro...@hotmail.com> on 2004/06/24 20:06:24 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache proxy problem: Tomcat loses session when passed through apache proxies!

I have apache version 1.3.27 configured with several virtual hosts running
using the proxypass and proxypassreverse parameters. However, because of
this, the requests to one of these hosts seem to lose the session
information (and consequently any variables associated with the session).
I've found an explanation and workaround at the following url:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3ecb52a9%240%2449107%24e4fe514c%40news.xs4all.nl&rnum=62&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dtomcat%2Bsession%2Bcookie%2Bapache%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26start%3D60%26sa%3DN

but I was wondering if there is some less application-intrusive way to
resolve this issue. The relevant part of the httpd.conf file is included
here (it uses https, hence the entry for port 443):

<VirtualHost RealServerName.com:80>

ServerName MyServer.com

ProxyPass / http://RealServerName.com:8080/MyTomcatDir/
ProxyPassReverse / http://RealServerName.com:8080/MyTomcatDir/