Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/08/02 17:47:25 UTC

JUnit Results with Excalibur

Test Results
------------

There were some errors in the test results (The feedback from JUnit
is already very effective).  This means that either the test
code is faulty, or the components are faulty.  We need to investigate
the problems.

Name                 Tests       Errors      Failures
------------------   -----       ------      --------
ClutilTestCase       11/11       0           0
BinaryHeapTestCase   10/10       0           0
DataSourceTestCase   2/2         0           0
FileUtilTestCase     9/9         2           0
       (Force Delete File 1)
       (Force Delete File 2)
IOUtilTestCase       13/13       0           8
       (Byte Array to String)
       (Byte Array to Writer)
       (InputStream to OutputStream)
       (InputStream to Writer)
       (Reader to OutputStream)
       (Reader to Writer)
       (String to OutputStream)
       (String to Writer)
PoolProfile          6/6         6           0
       (all)
PropertyUtilTestCase 8/8         7           0
       (Only No Resolve passed)

The most common type of error was a NullPointerException (all PropertyUtil
and Pool errors).

The IOUtilTestCase failures were all allong the lines of:
    * Content not equal according to java.util.Arrays#equals()
    * The files c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\file2-test.txt and
      c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\copy.txt have different content
    * Test output data file shouldn't previously exist (the last 5 tests)

The FileUtilTestCase errors were both (with exception of file name):
    * java.io.IOException: File c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\copy1.txt
      unable to be deleted.

Re: JUnit Results with Excalibur

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue,  7 Aug 2001 00:31, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I am working on changing the Ant junitreport tag to use
> Xalan 2.  Once that is done, we have browsable HTML pages
> for the test results.

kewl - how about something that prints out to the console instead ? (or
aswell) ;)

Main reason is I run unit tests almost every build and don't want to have to
go via other mediums. I want it to display where error occurs so can get on
with coding.

> Also, there is an alternative to execute the
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.test.ExcaliburTestSuite class
> and bring up the swing test runner.  The only caviat is that
> the ant script would stall until you closed it.

blech - even more of a slowdown ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: JUnit Results with Excalibur

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
I am working on changing the Ant junitreport tag to use
Xalan 2.  Once that is done, we have browsable HTML pages
for the test results.

Also, there is an alternative to execute the
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.test.ExcaliburTestSuite class
and bring up the swing test runner.  The only caviat is that
the ant script would stall until you closed it.

There are two types of output: plain and XML.

Re: JUnit Results with Excalibur

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 01:29:19PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon,  6 Aug 2001 13:24, Jeff Turner wrote:

> > > Not if your debugging from a "real" editor because then you have to jump
> > > through hoops to isolate error line. I much prefer hitting C-x~ and going
> > > straigh to the line that produced error ;)
> >
> > In that case, a whole bunch of test results won't impress your editor
> > either ;)
>
> A whole bunch of test results are fine ... because the error regex will only
> jump to error lines - Got to love emacs ;)

Then the regexp wouldn't match the help message either :) But point
taken.. don't mess with output unnecessarily.

--Jeff

(who uses jikes + vim + http://newgate.socialchange.net.au/~jeff/jpe/)

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

On Fri,  3 Aug 2001 01:47, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Test Results
> ------------
>
> There were some errors in the test results (The feedback from JUnit
> is already very effective).  This means that either the test
> code is faulty, or the components are faulty.  We need to investigate
> the problems.
>
> Name                 Tests       Errors      Failures
> ------------------   -----       ------      --------
> ClutilTestCase       11/11       0           0
> BinaryHeapTestCase   10/10       0           0
> DataSourceTestCase   2/2         0           0
> FileUtilTestCase     9/9         2           0
>        (Force Delete File 1)
>        (Force Delete File 2)
> IOUtilTestCase       13/13       0           8
>        (Byte Array to String)
>        (Byte Array to Writer)
>        (InputStream to OutputStream)
>        (InputStream to Writer)
>        (Reader to OutputStream)
>        (Reader to Writer)
>        (String to OutputStream)
>        (String to Writer)
> PoolProfile          6/6         6           0
>        (all)
> PropertyUtilTestCase 8/8         7           0
>        (Only No Resolve passed)
>

> The most common type of error was a NullPointerException (all PropertyUtil
> and Pool errors).
>
> The IOUtilTestCase failures were all allong the lines of:
>     * Content not equal according to java.util.Arrays#equals()
>     * The files c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\file2-test.txt
> and c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\copy.txt have different
> content * Test output data file shouldn't previously exist (the last 5
> tests)
>
> The FileUtilTestCase errors were both (with exception of file name):
>     * java.io.IOException: File
> c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\copy1.txt unable to be
> deleted.

Cheers,

Pete

Re: JUnit Results with Excalibur

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Could you check in the build.xml so we can run them aswell ;)
>
> I am willing to bet that many of them are because you didn't convert
> initialize() to setUp(). Others could be differences between unix/win32 (damn
> win32 file locking may cause errors).

I was just running it with the SwingUI.

You can now execute JUnit from Ant, or by executing
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.test.ExcaliburTestSuite.  Executing that class will
start up the JUnit GUI--that I am really beginning to like.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Could you check in the build.xml so we can run them aswell ;)

I am willing to bet that many of them are because you didn't convert
initialize() to setUp(). Others could be differences between unix/win32 (damn
win32 file locking may cause errors).

On Fri,  3 Aug 2001 01:47, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Test Results
> ------------
>
> There were some errors in the test results (The feedback from JUnit
> is already very effective).  This means that either the test
> code is faulty, or the components are faulty.  We need to investigate
> the problems.
>
> Name                 Tests       Errors      Failures
> ------------------   -----       ------      --------
> ClutilTestCase       11/11       0           0
> BinaryHeapTestCase   10/10       0           0
> DataSourceTestCase   2/2         0           0
> FileUtilTestCase     9/9         2           0
>        (Force Delete File 1)
>        (Force Delete File 2)
> IOUtilTestCase       13/13       0           8
>        (Byte Array to String)
>        (Byte Array to Writer)
>        (InputStream to OutputStream)
>        (InputStream to Writer)
>        (Reader to OutputStream)
>        (Reader to Writer)
>        (String to OutputStream)
>        (String to Writer)
> PoolProfile          6/6         6           0
>        (all)
> PropertyUtilTestCase 8/8         7           0
>        (Only No Resolve passed)
>

> The most common type of error was a NullPointerException (all PropertyUtil
> and Pool errors).
>
> The IOUtilTestCase failures were all allong the lines of:
>     * Content not equal according to java.util.Arrays#equals()
>     * The files c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\file2-test.txt
> and c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\copy.txt have different
> content * Test output data file shouldn't previously exist (the last 5
> tests)
>
> The FileUtilTestCase errors were both (with exception of file name):
>     * java.io.IOException: File
> c:\projects\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\test\io\copy1.txt unable to be
> deleted.

Cheers,

Pete