Posted to dev@milagro.apache.org by Brian Spector <br...@qredo.com> on 2019/08/27 11:07:35 UTC

[IP Clearance] Apache Milagro - Decentralized Trust Authority

Hi All,

Apache Milagro received a donation of a software client called a Decentralized Trust Authority, which is built upon the Apache Milagro Crypto-C library. This software client is part of the evolution of Apache Milagro. It is in its own repo at: https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-dta

This donation contains the ‘in-development’ alpha version of the new Decentralized Trust Authority software client which we would like to release broadly in a series of staged releases until a final GA version in Q4. We would like to get the alpha release out asap, followed by a beta, then an RC1 and finally a GA version.

The vision is that the D-TA will be the server process that functions as the master key generation server for a) issuing Type-3 pairing/identity based secrets for M-Pin clients and servers (the original D-TA version) and b) safeguard shares of secrets, like Bitcoin private keys, as an example.

The problem with the initial version of the M-Pin client/server code into Milagro was that there was no standardized way to issue identity based secrets for M-Pin clients and servers, and a Trust Authority was conflated with the authentication server. This fixes that design limitation and enables a broader set of functional use cases to be addressed, particular for protecting cryptocurrency private keys and other high value secrets.

The D-TA contains a dependency on an embedded IPFS service, which is licensed under the non-conflicting MIT license: https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs/blob/master/LICENSE

The IP clearance form can be found at:

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/milagro-dta.html

once the website updates. The XML form has been posted to: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/milagro-dta.xml and the index.xml file has been updated.

The commit containing the donation can be found at:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-dta/commit/e1067aef61dc0b2a523348dc9b71eb578983c9ee

Please vote to approve this contribution. Lazy consensus applies:

if no -1 votes are being cast within the next 72 hours, the vote passes.

Thank you for your support,

Brian

Brian SpectorChief Product and Strategy OfficerQredo LtdT: +44 13948257641 Primrose StreetLondon, UK EC2A 2EXhttps://qredo.com Qredo Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales (registered number 7834052).  This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, and are intended only for the named addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, disclose to anyone else or otherwise use the content of this e-mail or any attachment thereto and should notify the sender immediately and delete them from your system.

Re: [IP Clearance] Apache Milagro - Decentralized Trust Authority

Posted by Brian Spector <br...@qredo.com>.
Hi Justin/Everyone,

Apologies, 3rd times' a charm. The team compiled a list of libraries we are linked to (which includes IPFS libs) and their licenses. This linking happens during build time, and for the most part, these aren't included in the source libraries (although some are).

They are below. Does anyone see any issues?

ISC	github.com/btcsuite/btcd
ISC	github.com/btcsuite/btcutil
Apache 2.0	github.com/coreos/go-oidc
MIT	github.com/go-kit/kit
MIT	github.com/go-test/deep
Apache 2.0	github.com/go-yaml/yaml
BSD-3-Clause	github.com/gogo/protobuf
BSD-3-Clause	github.com/golang/protobuf
BSD-3-Clause	github.com/google/uuid
BSD-3-Clause	github.com/gorilla/mux
MIT	github.com/ipfs/go-datastore
MIT	github.com/ipfs/go-ds-leveldb
MIT/Apache	github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs
MIT	github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs-api
MIT	github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs-config
MIT	github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs-files
MIT	github.com/ipfs/interface-go-ipfs-core
MIT	github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p-crypto
MIT	github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p-peer
MIT	github.com/multiformats/go-multihash
Apache 2.0	github.com/mwitkow/go-proto-validators
BSD-2-Clause	github.com/pkg/errors
Apache 2.0	github.com/prometheus/client_golang
MIT	github.com/stretchr/testify
MIT	github.com/tyler-smith/go-bip39
MIT	go.etcd.io/bbolt
MIT	gopkg.in/go-playground/validator.v9

Thanks
Brian

On 28/08/2019, 08:01, "Brian Spector" <br...@qredo.com> wrote:

    Yes, apologies, we also have a reliance on GoKit, which is also licensed under MIT: https://github.com/go-kit/kit/blob/master/LICENSE

    The original location was a private repo managed by Qredo Ltd.

    We'll get the headers cleaned up asap.

    On 28/08/2019, 00:47, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

        Hi,

        Is there any 3rd party code in this donation (other than IPFS)? I note there’s a number of files without headers (and some with ASF headers, possibly incorrectly?) and that make it’s a little hard to review the IP of this donation.

        I assume the code base was only placed at [1] for connivance, where was the original location? Did it originally come from another external repo?

        Thanks,
        Justin

        1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-dta <https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-dta>

Re: [IP Clearance] Apache Milagro - Decentralized Trust Authority