Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Karl Koch <Th...@gmx.net> on 2005/08/26 17:25:46 UTC

Lucene in IR Research

Hello all,

I would like to know about papers that where written and used Lucene as the
unerlying search engine. E.g. Lucene as baseline search engine and some
modifications to compare it with baseline Lucene system etc.

Please provide links to published papers if possible.

Kind regards,
Karl

Re: Lucene in IR Research

Posted by Dave Kor <s0...@sms.ed.ac.uk>.
Quoting Karl Koch <Th...@gmx.net>:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know about papers that where written and used Lucene as the
> unerlying search engine. E.g. Lucene as baseline search engine and some
> modifications to compare it with baseline Lucene system etc.
>
> Please provide links to published papers if possible.

I have some work on Question Answering that extensively uses Lucene for TREC
this year, but the paper is only half written (due november) so I'm afraid I
can't release it at the moment. Some other papers I can point out are:

Phrasal Queries with LingPipe and Lucene: Ad Hoc Genomics Text Retrieval,
by B. Carpenter, Alias-i, Inc.
http://trec.nist.gov/pubs/trec13/papers/alias-i.geo.pdf

Boris Katz and his team at MIT uses Lucene for a lot of their QA work, here's a
paper that compares Lucene with PRISE (The IR engine NIST uses for TREC).
Quantitative Evaluation of Passage Retrieval Algorithms for Question Answering
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/infolab/publications/Tellex-etal-SIGIR03.pdf

A comparison of off-the-shelf IR engines for question answering
by Jorg Tiedemann
http://www.let.rug.nl/~gosse/Imix/clin04_tiedemann.pdf

I hope this helps.

Re: Lucene in IR Research

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Karl,

A good place to start would be a list of Doug Cuttin's papers.  We have
a list of them in Appendix C, section C.9 of Lucene in Action, but the
list is also available online (don't have the URL, but I'm sure Google
has it indexed).

Otis