Posted to community@apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/06/15 13:23:39 UTC

OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004 RFP

REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS

OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004
ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), Zurich, Switzerland
Wednesday, Sept 29 - Friday, October 1, 2004

[Please feel free to forward this notice far and wide!]

The theme of OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004 is "Cross-Pollination".
This will be a joint conference between OSCOM and the Apache Software
Foundation. The conference will have 4 tracks:

1) OSCOM Technical / Community Track
2) OSCOM Business / Legal Track
3) ApacheCon Track 1
4) ApacheCon Track 2

The Open Source content management community is rich and varied
with many projects such as OpenCMS, Plone, Midgard, Apache Lenya,
Cofax, Drupal, and many others. Almost all Open Source CMS rely
on Apache technology, and we look forward to lots of
cross-pollination between the Apache and CMS communities.
In addition, market awareness is rapidly growing, with several
Open Source CMS and Apache projects being mentioned favorably
in recent analyst reports.

Audience

OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004 is a place for developers,
vendors, integrators and users to mingle and learn from each
other. We aim to make the conference as interactive as possible.

Scope of Proposals

Individuals and companies interested in making
presentations, giving a tutorial, or participating in panel
discussions regarding CMS or an Apache project at
OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004 are invited to submit proposals.
Proposals will be considered in two classes: tutorials and
convention presentations (sessions).

Product presentations for track 2 will be asked to follow
a standard structure (see Appendix A) to make them more
comparable to each other. This will help decision makers
to quickly learn about the pro's and con's of various
Open Source CMS.

Besides presentations from CMS projects and vendors,
we are especially looking for proposals dealing with
interesting uses of content management and related
problem areas from law, business and society.

Session presentations are 45 minutes long, and tutorials
are a half-day (3 hours). If you are interested in
participating in or moderating panel discussions, or
otherwise contributing to the conference, please let us
know (and please include your area of expertise). If you
have an idea for a panel discussion or a particularly
provocative group of panelists that you'd love to see
square off, feel free to send your suggestions to
oc4@oscom.org.

For the Apache tracks, we are interested in
proposals covering:

o Apache Web server topics (installation, compilation,
   configuration, migration, ...)
o All Apache Software Foundation projects (Jakarta,
   mod_perl, Xerces, et cetera)
o scripting languages and dynamic content
   (Java, PHP, Perl, TCL, Python, XML, XSL, etc.)
o Security and eCommerce
o Performance tuning, load balancing, high availability
o tips for writing Apache Web server modules
o Technical and non-technical case studies
o new Web-related technologies

Only educational sessions related to projects of the Apache
Software Foundation or the Web in general will be considered
(commercial sales or marketing presentation won't be accepted;
please contact oc4@oscom.org if you're interested in
giving a vendor presentation, e.g. "lunch bag session").

Submitting Proposals

Proposals may be submitted to oc4@oscom.org for
OSCOM and Apache tracks.

Keep in mind that proposals need not be works of art.
A quick summary or abstract of the talk you plan to give
is sufficient for consideration. We prefer outlines for
tutorials. The proposal is what the conference committees
uses to select speakers, so give enough information that
the committee can tell what you'll be covering. As the
conference approaches, we will request additional
information about your proposal as necessary.

NOTE: All presenters whose talks are accepted will receive
free registration at the conference. Travel / accomodation
allowances will be handled on a case by case basis.

Important Dates

Proposals Due: July 15, 2004
Registration Opens: August 1, 2004
Speaker Notification: August 1, 2004
Presentation Files Due: September 1, 2004

Appendix A: Structure of CMS Product Presentation

Introduction (5 min)
Demo of Highlights (10 min)
Feature List (10 min)
Case Study (15 min)
Q & A (5 min)

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004 RFP

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
> OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004
> ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), Zurich, Switzerland
> Wednesday, Sept 29 - Friday, October 1, 2004

As my proposals got accepted, I will be there. And as my talks are on
Sep 29th in the morning and Oct 1st noon, I will be there the whole
time... =8-O

I noticed a talk by Erik Abele in the schedule. Who else of the Apache
people will be there?

	Regards
		Henning

                       --Michelle Levesque, "Fundamental Issues with
                                    Open Source Software Development"

Re: [OSCOM] OSCOM.4 / ApacheCon Europe 2004 RFP

Posted by Bob Doyle <ed...@cmsreview.com>.
Hi Gregor and Michael,

I guess no OSCOM in Cambridge this year...

I added this event to the CMS Calendar (http://www.cmscalendar.com).

The calendar is a syndicated feed, and you might consider adding it to
the OSCOM site? I can style the CSS for the feed to match OSCOM colors.

Another valuable feed from CMS Review is the CMS Glossary (now 230
definitions). You can see this at http://www.cmsglossary.com. It also
can be styled with OSCOM CSS.

It could replace the current OSCOM Glossary I put up for you last summer
http://www.oscom.org/projects/cms-selection/glossary.

Good luck with OSCOM 4.

--
Bob Doyle, Editor In Chief