Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@hotwired.com> on 1995/11/27 17:29:37 UTC

Re: virtual-howto

In message <19...@luers.qosina.com>, "Aram W. Mirzadeh" writes:
>I've been keeping and updating a virtual-howto page for apache.  Right
>now it's only for linux, but I'm expanding it.  ( thanks to brian for the
>pointers
>on to write better html code ).

Just in case others didn't know this yet... virtual hosting has become
easier under IRIX 5.3.  patchSG0000797 adds 'alias' to the 'ifconfig'
command so you can attach aliases to any interface.  I've been using
it at HotWired for 2 weeks now with no problems.  I've even attached an
alias to a ppp interface and it works as expected.(*)

Unfortunately I'm not sure if patch 797 has made it to the free ftp
sites yet.  I got it by asking my sgi rep while it was still in beta.

The documentation provided with the patch includes documention on setting
up netscape's server for virtual homes.

Dean

(*) The alias on the ppp interface is for a hack I set up to let our
people judge what pages 'feel' like at modem speeds -- there's a serial
link between two of our machines running at 19.2 with PPP and compression.
A little routing magic and a dumb proxy (just a reflector) server gives
people an alternate URL to visit to see things in slow motion.