Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org> on 2004/01/07 17:48:12 UTC

Generating logs to view in Chainsaw

Hi,

We're currently trying to evaluate chainsaw to let us analyse customer's log files and we're struggling to write log files in a format that chainsaw can cope with.

I figured that it should be enough to use the XmlLayout but chainsaw simply displayed the first couple of events with an id of 1.  After a little hacking around with the log file we discovered that chainsaw could be fooled into showing more events if we added the following to each event with an ever increasing value:
<log4j:properties><log4j:data name="log4jid" value="1"/></log4j:properties>

But what's the trick to getting this information added to the logs as they go? Do we need to be using an appender / layout specific to chainsaw? - I hope not as I see no real reason to add the chainsaw jar to our dependancy list.  To be honest I'd have thought that chainsaw could add an ever increasing value on load if its not there but maybe I'm taking too simplistic a view.

Thanks in advance,

Rob