Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Philipp Suter <su...@adobe.com> on 2015/02/25 16:05:38 UTC

(OAK-2416) Support continuable sessions

Hi

I had an offline discussion with Francesco regarding the implementation of the revision for the continuable session in the OAK API and read through the comments in [1].

Some additional comments to what Alex mentioned yesterday:

I like the idea of separating the internal revision from the “exposed" revision. They might not have the same requirements. Especially an optional timeout for the exposed revision similar to the checkpoint timeout could be ideal to support efficient garbage collection.

The timeout should have a larger timeframe than for checkpoints. E.g. days rather than milliseconds. The timeout should also be optional to have enough flexibility for fast changing trees and for more static trees.

For trees with too many “eternal" revisions a resetAll function in the RevisionFactory could be a solution. It could also help for any yet unknown locked-in situations.

Also the creation of a RevisionFactory would be necessary to create exposed revisions, load revisions and dispose revisions, etcetc

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-2416