Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Heller, George A III CTR (USA)" <ge...@mail.mil.INVALID> on 2022/04/04 18:36:14 UTC

Is there anything other than NSSM or AlwaysUp that will create a windows service or similar for Solr?

Does anyone know if there is anything other than NSSM or AlwaysUp that will create a windows service or similar for Solr so that it will automatically start when the server is rebooted?

NSSM failed our vulnerability scan and AlwaysUp may work, but not sure if they can do the paperwork to approve the license cost for AlwaysUp. I would like to see if there are more alternatives out there.

Re: Is there anything other than NSSM or AlwaysUp that will create a windows service or similar for Solr?

Posted by dmitri maziuk <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 2022-04-04 1:41 PM, Eric Pugh wrote:
> I think any service tool that your org will accept should work, it’s just a basic Java app….  Nothing special about how Solr starts that would require a specific windows service app.

It's windows, not Solr, that requires a specific app.

Everyone I know is using NSSM, if OP's IT security is failing it,
there's a good chance the problem is their IT security. There is no
software fix for that.

Dima

Re: Is there anything other than NSSM or AlwaysUp that will create a windows service or similar for Solr?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I think any service tool that your org will accept should work, it’s just a basic Java app….  Nothing special about how Solr starts that would require a specific windows service app.

> On Apr 4, 2022, at 2:36 PM, Heller, George A III CTR (USA) <ge...@mail.mil.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if there is anything other than NSSM or AlwaysUp that will create a windows service or similar for Solr so that it will automatically start when the server is rebooted?
>
> NSSM failed our vulnerability scan and AlwaysUp may work, but not sure if they can do the paperwork to approve the license cost for AlwaysUp. I would like to see if there are more alternatives out there.

Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Is there anything other than NSSM or AlwaysUp that will create a windows service or similar for Solr?

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
It has been ages since I ran a Windows server, but we just used the built-in service manager. That worked fine for a couple of products I worked on, a search engine and a database.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org