Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2016/01/22 22:25:59 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Restructure Storm documentation

The new website is awesome.

Tt would be great to keep tabs on documentation for different versions of Storm and host those different versions on the site.

I don't care too much for having all the documentation in its own branch. I would suggest that each version branch of Storm keeps its own version of the docs -- or keeps any modifications to the docs, if not the entire collection, in order to keep the common parts in sync -- and that these docs get merged into the asf-site branch in their own version directory as part of the release process.
Please let me know what you think and I'll file Jira issues as necessary.-- Kyle

Re: [DISCUSSION] Restructure Storm documentation

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.
+1 on having separate versions for 0.x 1.x and master. I can fork out the
documentation into three branches and try to fix the links for 0.x and 1.x.
master is changing at a rapid pace so it may be better to keep updating it
in continuous mode. The structure and process of generating and publishing
the documentation needs to be decided though.

Abhishek Agarwal

Re: [DISCUSSION] Restructure Storm documentation

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.
I have seen Apache Pig publishing a version specific documentation which is
generated through forrest.
e.g.
http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.13.0/
http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.14.0/

Documentation is kept in the same branch in a separate folder. I haven't
looked in details but we can definitely borrow ideas from them.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Kyle Nusbaum <
knusbaum@yahoo-inc.com.invalid> wrote:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1502 -- Kyle
>
>     On Sunday, January 24, 2016 4:29 PM, Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>  +1 for having version specific docs.
>
> We move docs to asf-site branch, and now we have only one REST API doc. for
> 1.0.0 and later versions.
>
> It would also great to describe available versions for each API, but just
> having whole copy may be easier.
> Same things may be applied to new features.
>
> - Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)
>
> 2016년 1월 25일 (월) 오전 12:19, Matthias J. Sax <mj...@apache.org>님이 작성:
>
> > +1 for having documentation for older releases on the website and
> > JavaDocs for each version, too.
> >
> > Btw: in the Flink project this process is automated completely. I am not
> > sure exactly how, but could figure it out. However, the documentation is
> > not part of the project website itself but hosted at ci.apache.org
> >
> > Having this automated, is very nice for people how are using the current
> > Snapshot version, as the new docs get available very soon when something
> > changes.
> >
> > -Matthias
> >

> > On 01/22/2016 11:59 PM, Nathan Marz wrote:
> > > At the very least, the Javadocs should be available by version. This is
> > > something I used to do but looks like we forgot to keep doing that
> after
> > > the transition to Apache. Maintaining other docs (tutorials, etc.) by
> > > version is more difficult as those are rarely updated at the time of
> > > release.

> > requirement

> be
> > see it

> him
> > on

> > the
> > process

> > release
> > “1.0.0-docs”).

> > .INVALID>

> versions

> own
> > the
> that

Abhishek Agarwal

Re: [DISCUSSION] Restructure Storm documentation

Posted by Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

not part of the project website itself but hosted at ci.apache.org

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com>.

--
Twitter: @nathanmarz
http://nathanmarz.com

Re: [DISCUSSION] Restructure Storm documentation

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.

    On Friday, January 22, 2016 3:48 PM, Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> wrote:

 Yep, That's precisely what I was thinking.

I don't really see a problem with the process being manual. It won't be *too* much work, and we do releases infrequently enough that I don't see it as a burden. A small helper script would probably be trivial to write.

Of course, Taylor is the one cutting the releases, so I'll defer to him on the automated/manual issue. -- Kyle

Posted by Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.