Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Mary Hinton <m....@nc.rr.com> on 2012/11/14 15:19:06 UTC

Proton Port for Windows

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share the status of the Windows port of the proton code.

The last rebase of the proton dll codebase was this Saturday, Nov. 10th.

I haven't updated to the latest python tests yet, but currently, the port is
running and passing most of the python tests.

Totals: 119 tests, 105 passed, 6 skipped, 0 ignored, 8 failed

I can run proton in both client and server mode and pass the messages
between the client/server proton executables.

It will be a while for all the Jiras for the port to be discussed and
implemented to merge the two ports. I tried to maintain the code to keep the
two versions working, but haven't actually tested my version on Linux yet.
There are #ifdef's around areas that are specific to each port. A lot of
these #ifdef's can be merged when the proton group decides on the best way
to handle the specific areas.

In the meantime, I would like to have a public place to put the port so that
others can join in with the Windows version.

What is the best way to do this using git so that I don't interfere with the
current codebase?

Thanks,

Mary Hinton

Re: Proton Port for Windows

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
[List added back in, because this is generally useful information]

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 09:41 -0500, Mary Hinton wrote:
> Wanted to check a little more on how the github works. If I push a branch to github, does it just stay in the github?
> Do I have to worry about the Apache subversion process picking up what I push to the  github?
> Or does the Apache just pick up the information in the github from those who have permission to commit?

The picture is strictly one way, like this:

Apache svn -> Apache git mirror -> Github git mirror -/-> Private fork

If you want to change the Apache upstream you can only do it by directly
checking into the Apach svn repo. I don't think you have access to that
so you needn't worry.

The arrow is broken between the github mirror and your private fork
because it doesn't update automatically after the point you make the
fork on github.

When you push changes to your private fork on github you make those
changes public, but only for those that are looking at *your* fork
specifically.

Hopes that helps.

Andrew

Re: Proton Port for Windows

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 09:19 -0500, Mary Hinton wrote:
> I'd like to share the status of the Windows port of the proton code.

> In the meantime, I would like to have a public place to put the port so that
> others can join in with the Windows version.
>
> What is the best way to do this using git so that I don't interfere with the
> current codebase?

I'd recommend using github (http://github.com).

Essentially the process would be:

* Fork the apache/qpid-proton repository
* Clone the git repo on your local machine.
* Create a local branch at the last sync point call it <foobar>
* Check in changes to <foobar> which correspond to your windows patches
  - do this so that each change makes some sense by itself
    (preferably they successfully compile at least).
* Push the <foobar> branch from you local machine to github

Github has some fairly competent windows tools at this point which are
aimed at taking much of the confusion away from using git on windows.

There is some fairly good online documentation about git - you can
probably get to it from the help in github.

Andrew

RE: Proton Port for Windows

Posted by Mary Hinton <m....@nc.rr.com>.
I'm glad protonWinSnap worked for you.

You're right about protonWin. It is just for patch reviews and will not
compile in Windows without all the patches added to the code.

I won't be able to keep protonWinSnap as up to date as I would like, but if
it gets too far out of date, let me know and I will try to rebase the code
with the current proton codebase. Right now, I'm trying to get the amqpd.dll
broker plug-in (a project created within QPID)  to load. To get the new AMQP
1.0 (includes proton)  to compile, I had to change some code and don't have
everything resolved yet.

Mary Hinton

Posted by Ljupčo Taseski <tl...@digiverse.si>.
Thanks!