Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2013/06/05 12:04:48 UTC

Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed

Hi Hans Zybura,

On 04.06.2013 19:26, Hans Zybura wrote:
> Hi, comments inline...
>
> Crosspost to the api mailing list for a reason.
>
> Regards, Hans Zybura
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> [mailto:orwittmann@googlemail.com] Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013
>> 10:47 AM To: dev@openoffice.apache.org Subject: Re: [AOO 4.0]:
>> migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> small wrap-up at the top: - nobody prefers to migrate extensions
>> from AOO 3.4.x resp. OOo 3.x
>
> A couple of month ago there was a heated dispute about introducing
> incompatible changes for extensions in the addons.xcu (for negligible
> benefit). One of the arguments meant to silence the critics was:
> Well, it's no problem because we have an update mechanism for
> extensions. I expressed doubts if the update mechanism would work.
> Now it turns out I was wrong. I shouldn't have worried about the
> update mechanism. Without migration, users will have to find and
> reinstall all of their extensions anyway "by hand".

May be I should have said:
"Until now, nobody prefers to migrate extensions from AOO 3.4.x resp.
OOo 3.x".

> The current update mechanism for extensions simply looks for a newer
> version of the extension by use of a link provided by the extension
> developer himself. We did that for our extension, but didn't have to
> make use of it until now.
>
> OO developers decided not to take into account compatibility issues
> caused by introducing incompatible changes in addons.xcu. OK, so we
> have to deal with it. To prevent any trouble for our customers, we
> could very likely have provided an automatic update, so that an end
> user wouldn't have noticed any problem at all after a successful
> migration.
>
> Now OO developers are about to make it impossible for extension
> developers to simply provide an automatic update before or after the
> migration to AOO 4.0. Without migrating extensions, there is no
> automatic update path anymore.
>
> Great user experience! Great experience for extension developers and
> support folks!
>
> I remember much talk about the "eco system of AOO" on this mailing
> list. Is this what the talk was about?

I tried to get involved certain people on this topic.
I had send my intial post to dev@o.a.o and users@o.a.o. Sorry, that I
did not include api@o.a.o as I assumed that extension developers are
looking at dev@o.a.o.

The intention of this thread was not to present facts regarding the
development. It is meant to show on what I would like to work on for AOO
4.0 regarding the migration of the user profile and to get feedback on
it. (BTW, I had already started a discussion thread in January 2013
regarding the migration of the user profile - see thread "[IMPORTANT,
DISCUSS]: no migration/use of former user profile with AOO 4.0".)

I used terms like "I would like to ...", "My current preference is ..."
and "I need support and help ..." - I am not presenting facts.
I explicitly ask for help for these tasks.
I got no response and no feedback from users@o.a.o. I was disappointed
about it, because it means that nobody from users@o.a.o seems to be
interested to help/support me. From dev@o.a.o I only got feedback about
the risks of a user profile migration and that nobody prefers a
migration of the extensions.

I have taken your feedback as not constructive criticsm. Your feedback
sounds like that I decided that extensions will not be migrated. That is
not the case.
Earlier in January I already started a similar discussion - see above
mentioned thread. Here, no strong preferences regarding the migration of
extensions were given.
In this thread I expressed my willingness to work on the migration of
the user profile (which also contains the user installed extensions),
otherwise nothing will be migrated as stated in January. As this is not
a one-person show I asked for help and support. The only feedback I got
was that a migration might be risky and no one has preference to migrate
extensions.
Then I got your feedback which more or less killed my motivation to work
on the migration of the user profile.

May be you are volunteering to support me as you seem to be interested
in a working migration of the user profile?

Best regards, (a disappointed) Oliver.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/13 3:32 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:
> Am 05.06.2013 14:50, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 6/5/13 2:00 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:
>>> If the developers obviously have no clue how to get things right, if
>>> even the project lead seems to be completely clueless about the way his
>>> product works ...
>>
>> The developers try to improve the program over time and fix design
>> issues in a major version.
>>
>> Which leader, Apache projects have no single leader. I am at least no
>> leader of this project, I am just one developer who try bring things
>> forward.
>>

> If your clunky mail system would work, you could see which one I mean.

and my comment apply to Rob as well, we have no leader here only active
community members. And he asked of course valid questions that are not
yet solved or answered because of many other things that needed to be
addressed as well.

Juergen

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andreas,

On 05.06.2013 14:00, Andreas Säger wrote:
> If the developers obviously have no clue how to get things right, if
> even the project lead seems to be completely clueless about the way his
> product works ...
>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg07883.html
>
> ... how could I contribute anything useful?

- By giving constructive feedback
- By asking questions
- By helping with translation
- By helping with testing
- By helping with documentation
- By helping with marketing and promotion
- By setting up a test environment, installing old version OOo 3.x or
AOO 3.4.x, upgrading to AOO 4.0 and reporting success or failure
- By taking responsibility for certain management tasks
- ...

> I do not even understand my own extension anymore that I wrote 6 years
> ago. I do understand my own code but not the complicated XML
> configuration. The only thing I know for sure is that most of this
> extension used to run with any version from 1.4.x until 3.x.
>
> How could I test anything if I do not have any access to version 4? Am I
> supposed to compile it from source code or what?

By taking the stuff the community is providing - build bot results and
developer snapshots. These are installation sets that anybody of the
community can install easily.

Building it from source is also a good option.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.
Am 10.06.2013 21:24, Andreas Säger wrote:
> Am 05.06.2013 14:31, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Find a previous snapshot at
>> http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/ under winsnap or linsnap.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Regina
>>

> Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz fails to
> install while destroying my existing AOO 3.4.1
> Same problem with
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz_2013-06-10_04:12:05_1491332.tar.gz

Solution:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=50119

Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.
Am 05.06.2013 14:31, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Andreas,

> Find current snapshot on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
>

> It is not yet totally filled, because building is ongoing.
>
> Find a previous snapshot at
> http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/ under winsnap or linsnap.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Thank you very much. That place is very well hidden from the public.

Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Hans Zybura <hz...@zybura.com>.
Hi,

I'm sorry, I don't have the time to follow every post on the dev and api mailings lists. Being an add-in and extension developer for Microsoft Office and OpenOffice and having a well working add-in/extension for both in place, I normally only need to scan the lists once a week or so for relevant topics. The whole of my AOO extension activities, including support for users of our extension based product, is planned to take about 3% of my working time, in accordance to how much said extension contributes to my sales numbers and income. That's how my working life is organized.

When I happen to read this:

> >> small wrap-up at the top: - nobody prefers to migrate extensions from
> >> AOO 3.4.x resp. OOo 3.x

in conjunction with the obviously outdated and rather crude information about release planning here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-40-release-planning.html

it seems totally clear to me that nothing can change your "nobody prefers to migrate extensions" in time.

I will be delighted if I'm proved to be wrong, in which case I will gladly test the migration of our extension, and - if needed - open a bug report on bugzilla and help with resolving issues.

You know, from my point of view, the whole thread, starting only 5 days *after* the proposed date of RC1, left me speechless for a while, when I detected it. It had never occurred to me that in a project of this dimension one could even think about a new major release without careful and timely consideration of migration processes. The way this is handled looks very much like chaos to me, and I tend to no longer trust in AOO to be a serious, long-term, and reliable project. If this really is the Apache way of project management, it is nothing I want to get used to.

As a side note: my Windows and MacOS users don't "migrate", they wouldn't understand this geeky word. They are able to install a new software version, which is sort of a nuisance in itself for most of them. Afterwards, they expect to see everything in place like before. For most of the programs I use, I'm just such an end user myself. I expect those programs to install/update and then look and feel mostly like before or maybe a bit better, if I'm lucky. The last thing I want to be *told* is what I have to *do* for a proper "migration".

I realize that my stern remarks go partly to the wrong person. For this I apologize.

Regards, Hans

Posted by Hans Zybura <hz...@zybura.com>.
Hi,