Posted to dev@pekko.apache.org by Johannes Rudolph <jo...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/03 10:07:40 UTC

Pekko-HTTP approach

Hi,

for pekko-http, we need to think about how to approach the first few
changes. We should do:

 * integrate the Scala 3 branch that was not yet released
 * move from scalariform to scalafmt
 * new package names

Originally, the Scala 3 branch was not yet merged (and therefore
missed 10.2.10) because it does not mix all to well with Scala 2.12
support. It works but it requires some hacky patching of source files
to remove some code that cannot be compiled on all targets (we tried
to avoid version-dependent source files especially here since it
touches the biggest source file, headers.scala, and we have had many
bad experiences with bugs in versioned forks of source files).

At this point I would probably just merge the existing Scala 3 branch
to ensure this work is not lost even if it adds complexity to the
build. The hope would be that we might be able to drop Scala 2.12 soon
after the first release to clean things up.

In general, it goes somewhat against the goal of not adding any
changes in the first version of pekko but doing the merge later on
will be quite painful.

If you agree, we should try to do the changes in the order as shown above.

(Obviously, we should use the state of the scala-3 branch before the
license change. Afterwards, a merge from main was added containing the
license change.)

WDYT?
Johannes

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Alexandru Nedelcu <ap...@a.alexn.org>.
Hi,

On 3 Nov 2022, at 12:07, Johannes Rudolph wrote:
> (Obviously, we should use the state of the scala-3 branch before the
> license change. Afterwards, a merge from main was added containing the
> license change.)

It would be great to merge that scala-3 branch. I think Akka-HTTP is
what’s keeping us at $work from migrating to Scala 3 (plus other
annoyances, but this is the big one).

However — I’d ask if we are allowed.

I am not a lawyer, but does code in that PR represent code that’s
released under APL-2.0? My hunch is that there may be issues with this.

I think we should ask someone with legal expertise if we are allowed.
Can ASF help?

--
Alexandru Nedelcu
https://alexn.org

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Johannes for creating the branch. It looks like the 'main'
branch will merge ok to the scala-3 branch. There is just one small
merge conflict in one of the github workflow files (and easily fixed).
It seems like there is no major need to get that merge done yet.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Johannes Rudolph <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com>.
I tend to agree with Matthew and Daniel.

Johannes - would it help to copy over the scala3 branch to
incubator-pekko-http now and we can all chip in on ensuring regular
merges from the main branch?

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
The scalafmt changes shouldn’t create a large conflict if you apply the same scalafmt to the changes you are trying to apply, I have done this before in upstream projects.

--
Matthew de Detrich
Aiven Deutschland GmbH

Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
m: +491603708037
w: aiven.io e: matthew.dedetrich@aiven.io

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Johannes Rudolph <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Daniel Schroeter <ds...@theone.ch>.
Hi Johannes

Please correct me if i am wrong but i think the "scalafmt" and "new
package names" should be straight forward transformations that could be
applied to the scala3 branch as well.
This should not lead to a merge hell i believe. Wouldn't this also be a
possible approach?

Daniel

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

The Lightbend CLAs are based on Apache ones and do not transfer copyright as are fine to use as long as they are under the ALv2.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Johannes Rudolph <jo...@gmail.com>.
Maybe more info about the scala-3 branch: Most of it was contributed
from external contributors (big shout out to Hugh Simpson and Jan
Chyb) with only some parts done by me itself. All the contributions
already have gone through PRs to be merged into the scala-3 branch. We
kept this long running branch to keep a public record of what's
already done and what is still missing.

As such, I see the existing Scala 3 PR only as a kind of discussion
ground and way to make the branch itself more visible. The branch has
been public on the real repository from the beginning with the
existing ASL, so my interpretation would be that this work can be seen
as published under ASL (but IANAL, of course).

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 10:06 AM Matthew Benedict de Detrich
<ma...@aiven.io.invalid> wrote:
> > If Johannes is the author of that PR, it’s a big deal, because he
> still owns the copyright for his work. This case, as far as I’m
> concerned, is closed.

While this might be technically true, my contributions have been made
as an employee, so additional restrictions apply. But this should not
matter in this case because the whole has been publicized under ASL.

Johannes

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Jean-Luc Deprez <Je...@gmail.com>.
For clarity, it's my understanding that Johannes was employed by Lightbend
until recently. Now I don't know about you guys, but code I write is
property of my employer. That's also the reason CCLA's exist. If the case,
there wouldn't be any sublicense stuff going on for that work.

Anyhow, I don't think it matters.
Any git commit defines a working tree or could be extracted to a zip, which
would adhere to being an ASL compliant distribution. As such, as long as
BSL wasn't merged to a branch it would be legit to consume it.

As stated, we're not relying on a software grant from Lightbend and the
legal ground for both cases is the same.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Greg Methvin <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Greg Methvin <gr...@apache.org>.
> Therefore I’m wondering — is it legal to copy code from PRs that
were open before the license change? Are those PRs actually licensed as
ASL-2?

The ASL2 suggests the answer is yes:
> 5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You
to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License,
without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above,
nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license
agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.

This implies that it should be safe to copy any existing Akka pull requests
and merge them into Pekko, but it would be good to get someone from Apache
legal to confirm.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Alexandru Nedelcu <al...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>> Fact that Johannes authored most of the work wouldn't matter much, as
>> I'd
>> guess copyright transfer would be in place.
>>
>> But what Johannes stated doing is the legal ground. A git commit is a
>> copy
>> of the source, if that copy contains the ASL license instead of the
>> BSL,
>> the ASL terms apply. So the last commit on branch before BSL merge is
>> safe.
>>
>> Which is the legal ground for this whole endeavor anyway.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 12:44 PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The original PR was created before the license was changed. I think
>>> it
>>> should be safe to take into pekko-http, especially since Johannes
>>> who
>>> wrote the original PR is and is offering to help with getting it

Alexandru Nedelcu
https://alexn.org

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Alexandru Nedelcu <ap...@a.alexn.org>.
> [...]

>> Fact that Johannes authored most of the work wouldn't matter much, as
>> I'd
>> guess copyright transfer would be in place.
>>
>> But what Johannes stated doing is the legal ground. A git commit is a
>> copy
>> of the source, if that copy contains the ASL license instead of the
>> BSL,
>> the ASL terms apply. So the last commit on branch before BSL merge is
>> safe.
>>
>> Which is the legal ground for this whole endeavor anyway.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 12:44 PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The original PR was created before the license was changed. I think
>>> it
>>> should be safe to take into pekko-http, especially since Johannes
>>> who
>>> wrote the original PR is and is offering to help with getting it

Alexandru Nedelcu
https://alexn.org

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Greg Methvin <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Jean-Luc Deprez <Je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Alexandru Nedelcu <ap...@a.alexn.org>.
On 3 Nov 2022, at 13:44, PJ Fanning wrote:

> The original PR was created before the license was changed. I think it
> should be safe to take into pekko-http, especially since Johannes who
> wrote the original PR is and is offering to help with getting it into
> pekko-http.

Ah, I missed that Johannes is the original author of that PR.

That’s awesome ❤️

--
Alexandru Nedelcu
https://alexn.org

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Alexandru Nedelcu <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Pekko-HTTP approach

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
So I believe the general community agreement is that the first release of
Pekko and any of its modules is the minimum necessary changes to get it
released (ideally this is just change of packages but for the Pekko core
project this is not so trivial as we have seen).

Then there is going to be another release (with a bumped major version)
where changes go in as long as they don't break backwards compatibility. I
am not sure if the Scala3 changes for akka-http broke binary compatibility,
but if they didn't then even if the changes are disruptive to the source
code I don't see this being problematic for such a release.