Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/11/02 19:17:23 UTC

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

On 30/10/13 05:34, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to debunk a myth :
>
> Psudo-code is *not* code. It's basically what we call an algorithm.
> That some layers confurse those two terms is understandable. Larry,
> you can't make ths confusion, being a layer *and* a coder.

W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
example: BNF and WebIDL.

(I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)

I don't believe W3C intends, or intended, to put in such restrictions.
It's just that the document/software split is no longer clear cut.  PSIG
did not manage to split the concepts.

> And again, until we have a project starting to implement anything
> produced by the W3

I can't speak for other projects but for Jena, I believe we are not
affected but it is for an unusual reason.  The BNF for the SPARQL
language is produced from the javacc in Jena, not the other way round (I
was the spec editor).  The data languages are handwritten RC parsers,
not produced from the spec BNF, only with reference to it.

Other projects may have started form the BNF in any of these cases.  3rd
party libraries may also be affected.

	Andy

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
>> generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
>> example: BNF and WebIDL.
>>
>> (I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
>> such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)
>
> W3C already makes it a practice to license IDL portions of a
> specification under the W3C Software License[1]

As a concrete example, Apache Jackrabbit includes XPath grammar files
from W3C under that license.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 30/10/13 05:34, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>
>> First of all, I'd like to debunk a myth :
>>
>> Psudo-code is *not* code. It's basically what we call an algorithm.
>> That some layers confurse those two terms is understandable. Larry,
>> you can't make ths confusion, being a layer *and* a coder.
>
> W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
> generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
> example: BNF and WebIDL.
>
> (I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
> such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)

W3C already makes it a practice to license IDL portions of a
specification under the W3C Software License[1]

>From what I gather, the W3C PSIG quietly added this to Larry's
proposed option 3, and Larry quietly objected to same, which obviously
was a surprise to me.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/03/html-license-options.html