Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Hut Carspecken <hu...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/06/09 18:34:37 UTC

James Recommendation

Hello,

I am determining if I can use James for a enterprise application and was
wondering if someone could answer a few questions concerning their use of
James.

1) How stable is James? On a suitable server and under proper conditions,
does it crash once a week, month, or never?

2) How many messages can James handle before it experiences lag or buffer
overload?  Could it handle a T1 line with incoming messages?

3) Has anyone had any problem incorporating custom Mailets into the server
or experienced any unusual problem with database connections?

4) Its there a published list of corporate users that anyone knows about?

5) Would you recommend James (version 2.1.3) as a production, scalable MTA?

Thank you,

Hut

RE: James Recommendation

Posted by Mark Imel <ja...@imelshire.com>.
Regarding #1, I've yet to have James crash on me.  I have occasionally
cycled it to add some new features, change config, move it to another
server, etc... But i have never had James crash on me.  So far, i've gone on
average about 10 weeks between cycling it.

Regarding #2.  I'm only expiriencing light/moderate load...

Regarding #3.  I've worked on a couple of different mailets, and i love it.
I found the mailet design very easy to grasp, and was able to
develop/compile/deploy/debug my first mailet in about two hours.  Frankly,
the mailet api which may not be perfect (what is?) is one of my top reasons
for choosing James.

Posted by Hut Carspecken <hu...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: James Recommendation

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@jakarta.apache.org>.