Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by "Porter, Nigel" <NP...@ndsuk.com> on 2001/11/14 17:38:34 UTC

Handling of null values by Apache SOAP

Hi,

I'm having problems integrating Apache SOAP with some SOAP servers. The
problem is the way Apache SOAP appears to handle NULL values, in that it
attaches the xsi:null="true" attribute to the appropriate element.

I have looked at http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/ under section "5.1 Rules for
Encoding Types in XML". The ninth point is "A NULL value or a default value
MAY be represented by omission of the accessor element. A NULL value MAY
also be indicated by an accessor element containing the attribute xsi:null
with value '1' or possibly other application-dependent attributes and
values".

So the SOAP 1.1 specification appears to state that null values should be
represented by the xsi:null="1" attribute, but Apache SOAP represents this
by xsi:null="true".  This is causing problems with my application server
which doesn't recognise the values sent by Apache as actually being null.

Regards,

Nigel