Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rocco Scappatura <Ro...@sttspa.it> on 2007/07/31 10:03:30 UTC

Greeting card

It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?

I mean that spam which has subject similar to:

You've received a greeting ecard from a Colleague!

BR,

rocsca

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 03.08.07 18:14, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> fwiw, it has nothing to do with trust.  SA (and all the rules, etc,)
> are distributed via the Apache Software License.  The SARE rules are not
> available via that license, the rules (generally) aren't donated to the
> SA project, and we can't just go stealing other people's stuff and put
> it into SA.
>
> There's also been some disagreement wrt merging the projects (see list
> archives).

so I was mistaken... first note on their page mentions incorporating to
SpamAssassin.
WinError #99999: Out of error messages.

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"History is a tool used by politicians to justify their intentions."

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 03.08.07 17:51, arni wrote:
> I really dont understand (once again) how that can get through at any of
> you guys setups:

> 	*      [score: 1.0000]

first, not everyone has BAYES_99 set to 7.5 - default is 3.5 which required
1.5 point more to score as spam by default.

Also, BAYES is long-run thing. spammers still try to avoid it and are
ocasionally succesfull. People must care about BAYES filters, otherwise
they'll stop be effective.

> 	*  3.0 BOTNET Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
> 	*
> 	[botnet0.7,ip=75.111.124.140,hostname=c75-111-124-140.mdldcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net,client,ipinhostname]

also, not everyone is using SARE rules, and I think that until SA devels
won't trust them to include them into SA, many admins will not install them.

(R)etry, (A)bort, (C)ancer

Re: Greeting card

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.
Rocco Scappatura schrieb:
> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> I mean that spam which has subject similar to:
>
> You've received a greeting ecard from a Colleague!
>
> BR,
>
> rocsca

I really dont understand (once again) how that can get through at any of
you guys setups:

	*      [score: 1.0000]
	*  0.0 STOX_REPLY_TYPE STOX_REPLY_TYPE
	*  2.1 TVD_FINGER_02 TVD_FINGER_02
	*  2.4 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP addr
	*      1)
	*  0.0 FH_HELO_EQ_D_D_D_D Helo is d-d-d-d
	*  3.0 RCVD_IN_XBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
	*      [75.111.124.140 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
	*  2.0 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
	*      [Blocked - see <http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?75.111.124.140>]
	*  0.6 RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB RBL: SORBS: sender is a abuseable web server
	*      [75.111.124.140 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
	*  3.0 BOTNET Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
	*      [botnet0.7,ip=75.111.124.140,hostname=c75-111-124-140.mdldcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net,client,ipinhostname]
	*  0.0 DKIM_POLICY_SIGNSOME Domain Keys Identified Mail: policy says domain
	*       signs some mails
	*  0.0 BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME Hostname contains its own IP address
	*      [botnet_ipinhosntame,ip=75.111.124.140,rdns=c75-111-124-140.mdldcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net]
	*  0.0 BOTNET_CLIENT Relay has a client-like hostname
	*      [botnet_client,ip=75.111.124.140,hostname=c75-111-124-140.mdldcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net,ipinhostname]
	*  1.9 RCVD_ILLEGAL_IP Received: contains illegal IP address
	*  0.0 HS_INDEX_PARAM URI: Link contains a common tracker pattern.
	*  0.0 NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP URI: Uses a dotted-decimal IP address in URL
	*  1.5 IXHASH BODY: This mail has been classified as spam @ iX Magazine,
	*      Germany
	*  1.5 LOGINHASH2 BODY: mail has been classified as spam @ unknown company,
	*       Germany
	*  1.5 LOGINHASH1 BODY: mail has been classified as spam @ LogIn&Solutions
	*      AG, Germany
	*  1.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 Razor2 gives engine 8 confidence level
	*      above 50%
	*      [cf: 100]
	*  0.5 RAZOR2_CHECK Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
	*  0.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
	*      [cf: 100]
	*  2.2 DCC_CHECK Listed in DCC (http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)
	*  0.0 DIGEST_MULTIPLE Message hits more than one network digest check
	*  0.1 RDNS_DYNAMIC Delivered to trusted network by host with
	*      dynamic-looking rDNS

its scoring huge for me,

arni

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.
Duane Hill wrote:
> There is already a test SA does for a dotted-decimal IP in a URL:

Yeah, I was afraid of false positives by raising the score of that rule.
 So I made my own rule that only matches these specific urls (with the
MD5 sum) instead.

Regards,
Michael Schout

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 at 08:03 -0500, mschout@gkg.net confabulated:

> Rocco Scappatura wrote:
>> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
>> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> All of the ones I have received have a url with a numeric ip, followed
> by usually a 32 character string in the url (MD5 hash?).
>
> Here is my rule that traps them.  I have not seen any get through after
> this:
>
> body     LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  m'http://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'
> describe LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  Body contains postcard scam url
> score    LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  3.0

There is already a test SA does for a dotted-decimal IP in a URL:

   NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP

I have its score set to 2.5. It appears the default score is .001.

-------
   _|_
  (_| |

Re: Greeting card

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Michael Schout wrote:

> Here is my rule that traps them.  I have not seen any get through
> after this:
>
> body     LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  m'http://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'
> describe LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  Body contains postcard scam url
> score    LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  3.0

That's a useful general rule. Here's a revision as a URI rule rather
than a BODY rule:

describe DQ_URI_ONLY_ARGS  Dotted-Quad URI with only CGI arguments
uri      DQ_URI_ONLY_ARGS  m'^https?://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'

I've added this into
http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf too.

  ...every time I sit down in front of a Windows machine I feel as
  if the computer is just a place for the manufacturers to put their
  advertising.                                -- fwadling on Y! SCOX
 Tomorrow: The 272nd anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.

Re: Geeting cart

Posted by Igor Chudov <ic...@Algebra.Com>.
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:03:30AM +0200, Rocco Scappatura wrote:
> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> I mean that spam which has subject similar to:
>
> You've received a greeting ecard from a Colleague!

Here's my rule for it.

header   IGOR_POSTCARD_VIRUS Subject =~ /you\'ve received (a|an) (greeting (e)?card|ecard|postcard) from a\b/i
score    IGOR_POSTCARD_VIRUS 3
describe IGOR_POSTCARD_VIRUS PostCard virus

Re: Greeting card

Posted by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il>.
On Tuesday 31 July 2007, Rocco Scappatura wrote:
> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> I mean that spam which has subject similar to:
>
> You've received a greeting ecard from a Colleague!

Mine stops it fine. Probably trained bayes for these but the URL might be on
one of those lists such as razor, botnet, etc.

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Johann Spies <js...@sun.ac.za>.
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:03:30AM +0200, Rocco Scappatura wrote:
> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> I mean that spam which has subject similar to:
>
> You've received a greeting ecard from a Colleague!

Since we started using Clamav most (almost all) of those spam are
refused.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good
      courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for
      the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou
      goest."                        Joshua 1:9

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Diego Pomatta <in...@abelsonsa.com.ar>.
Rocco Scappatura escribió:
> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> I mean that spam which has subject similar to:
>
> You've received a greeting ecard from a Colleague!
>
> BR,
>
> rocsca

I asked something about custom rules yesterday. Since the rule I used as
example (and one I was going to implement) had something to do with
greeting ecards, Dan Barker suggested this link:

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf

I used it, and it worked.
Saved time, didn't have to write the rules myself. ;)

All you have to do is copy the file postcards.cf to your preferences directory (/etc/mail/spamassassin in my case) and restart spamd, if you use it.

/Regards