Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Carlos <ca...@cvc.edu> on 2001/08/15 22:49:40 UTC

Getting read of the X server dependency

A while back some people gave solutions as to how to remove the dependency
on a running X server. Some of them included removing all the references to
Batik from the site map, others included downloading a library that would
make X unnecessary, what's the name of the library and where can I download
it from?

TIA
Carlos

--
---
P  |Carlos Araya

mail:       carlos@cvc.edu
web:        http://www.cvc1.org (work)
            http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
PGP Fingerprint:     E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

Don't let the fact that you can't do all you want to do Keep you from
doing what you can do.

And oftentimes, excusing of a fault doth make the fault the worse by the
excuse; As patches set upon a little breach discredit more in
hiding of the fault than did the fault before it was so patched.
--Wm. Shakespeare

Re: Getting read of the X server dependency

Posted by eirikdentz <ei...@brainlink.com>.
You should do a search here:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&r=1&w=2>

I think you should be able to find the library that you're looking for.
Xvfb is another option that you might want to consider.

HTH

eirik

Posted by Jon Peterson <jo...@sdrc.com>.
Thanks for the input!

In our situation, we incorporate SVG as a fo:instream-foreign-object so I
can't remove the dependency.  Does anyone have any advice on how we can
improve the configuration (for instance, different Xvfb parameters maybe?)
or is it solely a function of the OS/version, JVM/version and X/version?

Thanks...Jon

Posted by java guru <ja...@yahoo.co.in>.
That is very true.,

Jon Peterson wrote:

> > Xvfb is what you need.  If you're running Linux,
> you may already have it
> > available (do which Xvfb or slocate Xvfb to
> check).  If not, go to
> > Xfree86.org and download either the Xvfb component
> of X (if you have XServer
> > installed) or grab the entire X Server and run
> Xinstall.sh.  If you're
> > running Solaris, go to

http://tmap.pmel.noaa.gov/home/ferret/FAQ/graphics/Solaris_Xvfb.html
> for the
> > binaries.
>
> That takes care of part of the problem.  Please, I
> highly recommend stress
> testing that setup.  Any time you are dependant on
> the interactions between
> two highly complex beasts (JVM and X windows
> server), there are bound to be
> synchronization issues and other bugs that are
> beyond the control of Cocoon!
>
> Consider the load you are expecting, and test for
> twice that number.  It is
> more important that you test for concurrency than
> for sequential access.  If
> you expect 100 simultaneous users during peek time,
> test for 200 users.  Use
> realistic settings, but test nonetheless.
>
> Keep in mind that any time you incorporate SVG using
> FOP or Batik, then you
> are going to use the X windows server.
>
> If you have _any_ serializers that use Batik (i.e.
> svg2png, svg2jpg), you are
> going to require the use of Batik.
>
> In some instances the setup will be perfectly
> stable--but some platforms will
> prove unstable.  It all depends on the
> implementation of X Windows and the
> implementation of the JVM.
>
> When JDK 1.4 becomes stable, the promise of Headless
> servers will be realized,
> and Batik can be used without precaution.
>

> > Once installed, on the command-line run
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1152x900x8 &
> >
> > and then set the DISPLAY variable to :1.0
> >
> > This should take care of your problem and allow
> you to keep batik's
> > functionality.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jon

=====
Thanks and have great day
srini

Re: Getting read of the X server dependency

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.