Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2013/03/18 12:42:57 UTC

Preparing for the release 12.04.01

Hi all,

in preparation for the release 12.04.01 I am reviewing the 12.04 branch and I am using the Rat tool to find files with missing licenses or with other license related issues.
Here are some notes, some of them are just for your information, but for some of them I'd love to get your input and your help:

a) as usual, the Rat tool complains for the missing licenses for all the files under applications/content/template/docbook: do we really need to deliver *all* these files?
b) I think we should remove the experimental framework/jcr component as we did from the trunk. What do you think? Any volunteers to help with this? (it should be a matter of backporting my commits 1347478, 1348869); if we want to keep the component and release it, then we will have to fix some license issues affecting its files
c) I would like to remove the following paragraphs from the README file (of the trunk and 12.04 branch):
================
You will also find several platform dependent scripts in the
"tools" folder (for example for Windows and Unix-like operating
systems, the startup scripts are startofbiz.bat and startofbiz.sh).

For more details about running a build, or for information on
getting, building, and running the source please see the
Apache OFBiz Setup Guide:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide

Note that running with the default configuration uses an
embedded Java database (Apache Derby), and embedded application
server components such as Tomcat, Geronimo (transaction manager), etc.

To prepare OFBiz for production use the Basic Production Setup Guide
is a great place to start. It is available here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide

Are you newbie for Apache OFBiz project? Are you confused how to start development? Please refer the beginner guide available at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Tutorial+-+A+Beginners+Development+Guide

For additional resources please see the OFBiz web site.
===============
and replace with a shorter sentence and a link to the page http://ofbiz.apache.org/documentation.html, possibly referencing just the names of the documents (and add links to them in that page); I would also love if a person with good English skills could review file (and ideally re-write the section) as I feel it could be greatly improved.
d) should we remove starofbiz.sh and stopofbiz.sh from the home (as they are copies of the ones under tools/), as we did in the trunk?

Thanks,

Jacopo

Re: Preparing for the release 12.04.01

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 18, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:

> d) should we remove starofbiz.sh and stopofbiz.sh from the home (as they are copies of the ones under tools/), as we did in the trunk?

I am also ready to remove the 2 duplicated scripts under the home folder.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sounds good to me

For #a I'd not touch it for now. There are any licences issues anyway, this has been clarified. The Neogia team created an addon for the New Web Help. I tried it and it works quite well. They are still polishing their addons mechanism.
When it will be ready, I believe we should integrate it in OFBiz (framework) and instead of only the new web help all docbook would be moved to the addon :)

Nicolas?

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Ok,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 18, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:

> b) I think we should remove the experimental framework/jcr component as we did from the trunk. What do you think? Any volunteers to help with this? (it should be a matter of backporting my commits 1347478, 1348869); if we want to keep the component and release it, then we will have to fix some license issues affecting its files

I am ready to commit the change that removes the experimental jcr component from 12.04, as we did for trunk. Any objections?

Jacopo