Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Martin Fontanez <jd...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/28 18:57:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Install Problem

Not certain what gives.  Apache install was flawless on Red Hat Linux box; and Apache starts ok.   My problem is I can't get the index.html page to display from my desktop.

I can ping the box fm desktop.

tracert 111.111.111.111 // returns correct path from desktop.

telnet localhost 80   // from server connects ok.

telnet to 111.111.111.111 80  // from desktop give me a connection failed message.

I turned off iptables on the Linux box.

The network guys say path to box fm my desktop is open.

Does anyone knows what else to check?

Thanks  in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Install Problem

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 09:57 AM 4/28/2009, you wrote:
>Not certain what gives.  Apache install was flawless on Red Hat
>Linux box; and Apache starts ok.   My problem is I can't get the
>index.html page to display from my desktop.
>
>I can ping the box fm desktop.
>
>tracert 111.111.111.111 // returns correct path from desktop.
>
>telnet localhost 80   // from server connects ok.
>
>telnet to 111.111.111.111 80  // from desktop give me a connection
>failed message.
>
>I turned off iptables on the Linux box.
>
>The network guys say path to box fm my desktop is open.
>
>Does anyone knows what else to check?

Doesn't sound like an Apache issue, but a few suggestions:

Try running Apache on a different port.

Try running Netcat - on the 'server', run
nc -l -p 80
(without Apache running).
On the workstation / desktop, try
ls | nc 111.111.111.111 80

You should on the server see the output of ls from the workstation.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Install Problem

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Martin Fontanez wrote:
> Not certain what gives.  Apache install was flawless on Red Hat Linux box; and Apache starts ok.   My problem is I can't get the index.html page to display from my desktop.
>
> I can ping the box fm desktop.
>
> tracert 111.111.111.111 // returns correct path from desktop.
>
> telnet localhost 80   // from server connects ok.
>
> telnet to 111.111.111.111 80  // from desktop give me a connection failed message.
>
> I turned off iptables on the Linux box.
>
> The network guys say path to box fm my desktop is open.
>
> Does anyone knows what else to check?

SELinux ?
/etc/hosts.allow ?
/etc/hosts.deny ?