Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Roberto Lo Giacco <rl...@smartlab.net> on 2002/02/07 16:19:08 UTC

No answers: reposting

Can someone tell me if:
- Can I replace sendmail with James on my Linux box?
- Can I use system accounts as mail accounts?
- Can you tell me what contribute is needed to get this functionalities?

For any misunderstood please refer to my previous email "Begging your pardon".

RE: No answers: reposting

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

possibly

> 1.2) Allowing James to use the same file format of sendmail isn't
> already a
> work in progress? Anyway I don't need my users to access the Linux Box
> directly, if they want to read their mails they sould use their
> own clients
> (win95/2K)

the fileformat thing has been mooted, but n-one has taken it on

> > 2/ is a little trickier, and making james snarf users from /etc/passwd
> would
> > probably be the quick and dirty route
> 2) Would you like a UserStore implementation which interfaces to the
> /etc/passwd file or something else?

Yes, it'd probably be a useful thing

Re: No answers: reposting

Posted by Roberto Lo Giacco <rl...@smartlab.net>.

RE: No answers: reposting

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
I'm not sure what the answer is, but here are some guesses.. if you're handy
with shell scripts that might be all you need to do

Not in any practical sense, when you send mail to and from local users
sendmail doesn't use the protocols, and setting up localhost (even by IP or
FQDN) as a gateway is ridiculed by sendmail and forbidden :-(

> - Can I use system accounts as mail accounts?
No, though its an interesting idea