Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2017/04/18 02:37:40 UTC

GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)

Igniters,

GridGain, as one of the most active Apache Ignite contributors, has been developing a unique distributed persistent store specifically for Apache Ignite for more than a year in-house. It’s a fully ACID and ANSI-99 SQL compliant fault-tolerant solution.

The store transparently integrates with Apache Ignite as an optional disk layer (in addition to the existing RAM layer) via the new page memory architecture that to be released in Apache Ignite 2.0. This allows storing supersets of data on disk while having a subset in memory not worrying about that you forgot to preload (warmup) your caches!

Assuming that the storage goes to ASF as a part of Apache Ignite 2.1 release the following will be supported by Ignite out-of-the-box:

* SQL queries execution over the data that is both in RAM and on disk: no need to preload the whole data set in memory.

* Cluster instantaneous restarts: once your cluster ring is recovered after a restart your applications are fully operational even if they highly utilize SQL queries.

As for the use cases, it means that Apache Ignite will be possible to use as a distributed SQL database with memory-first concept.

And we decided at GridGain that this tremendous feature should be open source from the very beginning.

Guys, could you advise how I can start official donation process?

—
Denis

Re: GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Igniters,

I would encourage everyone interested to share his/her opinion on this donation and if there are no objections I will kick off an official vote in a couple of ways.

—
Denis

Posted by Nikita Ivanov <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by christos <ch...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.
Nice! Finally Ignite from a "Middleware Solution" becoming an "All In One
Backend Solution".

Sergi

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan
<ds...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> First of all, it really isn't a good thing that a major functionality
>> was developed
>> behind the firewall without any feedback from Apache Ignite community.
>>
>> So the first question I'd like to ask is this: what was the reason for this
>> to be developed in such a way (and a follow up -- how can this be
>> avoided in the future)?
>>
>> In my experience the only excuse for something like that is either a work
>> that was done before the project joined ASF or work that was done under
>> the draconian initial license agreement that can now be re-licensed under
>> ASF.
>>

> Completely agree and I would also personally prefer that all features are
> developed in the open source community from the get go. In this case it was
> not possible, as it initially was developed for one of the GridGain
> customers and eventually evolved into something that could add value to the
> community - hence the proposal to open source it.

Fair enough.

> The code is not complete yet, and will require additional development
> before it can become a part of an official Ignite release. I would prefer
> that the remaining development can happen openly in the Ignite community.

You can most definitely keep refactoring it -- but that'll have to
happen in a branch.

>> Which brings me to my next point: any addition to the project that doesn't
>> go through the normal channels of small reversible commits that are easy
>> to scrutinize for IP issues needs to be vetted. Depending on the size of
>> the
>> donation a separate SGA for ASF may be required.
>>

> Correct. We will also be required to fill out the IP-Clearance form,
> specifically designed for situations like this one, when a code is donated
> into an existing code base:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/
>

>> Which brings me to my last point: where's the code? In order to have a
>> factual conversation about the next steps in the process I'd like to be
>> able to take a look at the code available to me under the Apache License.
>>

> Hm... I guess you are right, the code needs to be provided in a public GIT
> repository for review. To my knowledge this has not been done yet.
>

>> On top of which, I would like to either have a full access to the commit
>> and authorship history of this code OR a statement from the current
>> overall copyright owner.
>>

> Would a standard SGA suffice here?

Is there a single copyright owner for the codebase? If there's is -- then yes
you can file an SGA.

> I believe that ASF guidelines suggest that a discussion should happen
> first. Once the community gets enough information, we will move to a PMC
> vote. I was under the impression that once the PMC vote passes, then the
> SGA should be provided. Or does GridGain need to provide a signed SGA right
> away?

You have to provide SGA and code base right away. Not making those available
will preclude any meaningful discussion and most certainly will preclude a vote.

Note that filing an SGA doesn't mean that the code will end up in ASF
-- it means
ASF (read its members) will have a right to scrutinize it without the
fear of being
exposed to questionable IP.

In order to file an SGA you will have to make the code available.

So here's a set of steps you need to do:
    1. make code available some place on GitHub
    2. file and SGA with ASF pointing at a tag in that repo
    3. once both of these are done -- restart the discussion thread

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Cos, Roman,

Your concerns sound reasonable to me. However, that’s my personal point of view and not of the overall community. Personally, I accustomed to lean on the notion of releases and deadlines. Not sure that it contradicts ASF principles or can’t be applied to Apache projects. In any case it’s up to the community to decide how to proceed. I’m just trying to form a sort of process ;)

In general, I would avoid all the arguments and look at the storage collaboratively and constructively. I didn’t consider to rush you. Just forwarded you the message so that you can spot it among many falling in your inbox. Take whatever time you need.

In the meanwhile, I’ve prepared the IP Clearance page referring to the template below but failed to commit the changes to ASF repo:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html>

Could any of you grant me karma or commit the changes from your accounts?

> We also have this documented contribution process [1]. Is there a good
> reason to circumvent it in this particular case?
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Contribute#HowtoContribute-1.CreateGitHubpull-request <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Contribute#HowtoContribute-1.CreateGitHubpull-request>
Cos, the IP Clearance/grant process was followed and the following artifacts were prepared as a part of it (if you prefer the pull-request then it should be possible to do it):

The repository with the donation is ready and available for review:
https://github.com/agoncharuk/ignite/tree/pds-donate <https://github.com/agoncharuk/ignite/tree/pds-donate>

Big and main part of the sources is aggregated in “modules/pds”. The rest, that connects Apache Ignite memory architecture and SQL engine is under “core” and “indexing” modules. Alex Goncharuk should be able to point to specific files or commits if required.

Here is a description:
* Persistent Store Overview: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Persistent+Store+Overview <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Persistent+Store+Overview>
* Persistent Store Internal Design: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Persistent+Store+Internal+Design <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Persistent+Store+Internal+Design>

—
Denis

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
>   4) I believe the VOTE to accept the donation should be *decoupled* from
> any VOTEs –or decisions– on *what* to do with the donation and *when* to do
> it. Although it's sane and healthy to discuss the future of the donation
> inside its new home, ultimately there should be no time pressure by the
> donor with regards to the ultimate destination of their donation.

Followed Raul’s suggestion and initiated the VOTE as a part of different discussion:
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-Accept-Contribution-of-Ignite-Persistent-Store-td17896.html

Take your time to review the donation and vote once you’re ready.

—
Denis

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Hi Raul, thanks for jumping in! I agree on all points.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
All great points, thank you Raúl!

+1
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Raúl Kripalani <ra...@evosent.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
Roman, yes the software grant was acknowledged by Craig Russel. I mentioned
this earlier in the discussion.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

As discussed, pushed the branch being stabilized to ignite-5267 (and
created the corresponding ticket).

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html>

—

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@boudnik.org>.
Dmitriy,

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Cos,

The folks just followed Roman’s suggestion:

------------
So here's a set of steps you need to do:
   1. make code available some place on GitHub
   2. file and SGA with ASF pointing at a tag in that repo
   3. once both of these are done -- restart the discussion thread
————————

Basically, if to take a look at the list of donations on this page [1] it’s up to a community to decide where to “incubate” a donation - on a private GitHub repo or in an ASF branch.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html>

—
Denis

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Dmitriy,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Cos, Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi Cos, thanks,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hey guys,

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Sure, those classes will be renamed to use Ignite* prefix.

Any other comments regarding Configuration or public API changes?

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.
Alexey Goncharuk,

--
Alexey Kuznetsov

Re: GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Denis,

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Folks,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@boudnik.org>.
While no one is suggesting an IP trap laid out in the non-SGA'ed code
in this particular case, we don't want to setup a precedent like this.

From the overall ASF perspective I +1 what Roman has just said.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:54PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> >
> > Would a standard SGA suffice here?
> >
> > I believe that ASF guidelines suggest that a discussion should happen
> > first. Once the community gets enough information, we will move to a PMC
> > vote. I was under the impression that once the PMC vote passes, then the
> > SGA should be provided. Or does GridGain need to provide a signed SGA
> right
> > away?
>
> That reminds me of that Pelosi's self-inflicted conundrum of "In order
> to see the bill, we should pass the bill" ;)

Haha :)

SGA != code. In my view, the code should be provided to the community for a
review. But I am struggling to see why should an SGA be signed prior to the
community accepting the donation.

Having said that, this is just a technicality, and I believe that GridGain
will be able to proceed with the code donation either way.

D.

Re: GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Thank you guys for quick feedback!

So I guess once this and the source code/SGA addressing concerns from Roman's
emails are available to all of us - we can reconvene for the constructive
discussion!

With regards,
  Cos

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
>> 5. Can we have a discussion about the design of this new layer so people
>> here
>>   can understand better what's being offered, how to take the advantage of
>>   it, and - most importantly - to offer their own insights and
>> improvements
>>   into this new subsystems before it's landed in the source code? And it
>>   would safe a lot of time on Q&A as well.
>>

> Yes, good idea. Denis, do you have a high level architecture for the
> proposed persistence?

It will be prepared right after Apache Ignite 2.0 release. Presently, don’t have time to wrap it up in a doc form.

—

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.