Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cigan Segun <ci...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2004/11/12 22:15:57 UTC

Re:spamassassin and web based mails !

Hello,
I indeed praise you for your quick response to my question.
To be specific on my question, I want to be able to scan all messages
or mails sent to & fro using yahoo or hotmail or any of these known web
based addresses!

What are the tools?
Can spamassasin do that? How can I go about configuring such tools?

I do not have a mail server in my local network yet.
We all use web based mails.

Thanks once again.
Cigan_ng.

---------------------------------

Re: {02.8} Re:spamassassin and web based mails !

Posted by NM Public <ag...@nm.deflexion.com>.
On 12 Nov 2004 Cigan Segun (cigan_ng@yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> To be specific on my question, I want to be able to scan all messages
> or mails sent to & fro using yahoo or hotmail or any of these known web
> based addresses!
>
> I do not have a mail server in my local network yet.
> We all use web based mails.

Can you tell us what web-based mail program the people in your
company use? The answer will depend on this.

NM

--
Infinite Ink: <http://www.ii.com/>
Reverse Spam Filtering: <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/spam/>

Re[2]: spamassassin and web based mails !

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Cigan,

CS> To be specific on my question, I want to be able to scan all
CS> messages or mails sent to & fro using yahoo or hotmail or any of
CS> these known web based addresses!

CS> What are the tools?
CS> Can spamassasin do that? How can I go about configuring such
CS> tools?

To use SpamAssassin, you need to have the emails pass through a server
that runs SpamAssassin.  You don't have such a server yet, and
apparently you are not prepared to use one.

One option you can use:  Buy a domain name for your company if you
don't already have one, and establish a small web site on an
inexpensive shared virtual server (until you're ready to do more than
that), taking care to use one that supports SpamAssassin.

You can continue using webmail to access your emails, but instead of
using Yahoo, Hotmail, Mail.com, etc., you'd be connecting to webmail
at yourdomain.com (or perhaps yourdomain.co.uk if that's your
preference).

You could also use POP3 and/or IMAP to access your emails, if you so
choose, and your web/mail host supports them.

I support three domains which have done just that -- the domains run
on shared virtual hosting machines, and each domain has its own access
to SpamAssassin. It works extremely well for us, for under $200/yr
(per domain).

My host might be suitable for you, and I'll be glad to share contact
information off-list if you're interested. The company that hosts the
Rules Emporium web site can also provide this service, I believe, and
probably with more SpamAssassin support than does my host.

Bob Menschel

Re: spamassassin and web based mails !

Posted by Yang Xiao <yx...@gmail.com>.
Let me get this straight, you can't just walk up to the "Spammer" and
tell him/her to stop it or you are going to take away his/her internet
access? Outside of losing their webmail account with the ISPs and so
on, aren't you affraid of getting sued or even being jailed?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/14483934?source=Evening%20Standard&ct=5

Yang

RE: spamassassin and web based mails !

Posted by "Peter P. Benac" <pp...@emacolet.com>.
Cigan,

      What you want is what was mentioned here before.   WebSense or
SurfControl will and can prevent people from using Web Based mail products
like Hotmail, or Yahoo.  Filtering their mail is not going to work.  If they
are using Yahoo or Hotmail for business then they need to directed to use
your companies e-mail.  If they are using Yahoo and/or Hotmail to send spam
then they are doing so on company time and therefore not doing their jobs.

     Cruel as that sounded it's reality.  Using a businesses bandwidth to
even potentially sending spam is a thief of services.

Regards,
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Celtic Spirit Network Solutions
Providing Network and Systems Project Management and Installation and Web
Hosting.
Phone: 919-618-2557
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!

I indeed praise you for your quick response to my question.
To be specific on my question, I want to be able to scan all messages
or mails sent to & fro using yahoo or hotmail or any of these known web
based addresses!

What are the tools?
Can spamassasin do that? How can I go about configuring such tools?

I do not have a mail server in my local network yet.
We all use web based mails.

Thanks once again.
Cigan_ng.

Moving house? Beach bar in Thailand? New Wardrobe? Win £10k with Yahoo! Mail
to make your dream a reality.