Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/21 01:36:10 UTC

Skunk in Subversion for experiments

Hi to all,
some time ago has been created a folder called skunk as an out-of
trunk (=out of main development area), the URL is this:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/skunk

In there aren't objections I'd like to put there some Pivot-related
experiments, many of us knows I'm doing some experiments with Scala
and Pivot (and Maven, but not for all my tests). At the moment they
are simple tests, but maybe they can expand ...

I've just verified on Apache that there shouldn't be problems to put
there code related to Scala (its license should be compatible with
Apache, and I/we should only put an the notice file a dependence on
it, also as license).

Any sample/experiment will be in its own folder, with License headers,
etc ... and should compile with the related Pivot Release (or in some
cases with trunk).
All this area is outside trunk so releases, bug fixing, etc should be
not involved by this.

A side note:
next month I'll have to speak at a Local Java User Group (at Torino,
Italy, more details will follow), for a presentation of Pivot.
I'm writing some Slides/Texts for this and also maybe some example, so
I'm thinking also to put this material inside skunk ...

Comments ?

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Skunk in Subversion for experiments

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,
I'm very happy of your answers here :-) ...

> Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I have only read about Scala - haven't tried programming in it yet myself.
I'm a newbie in Scala, I've started to study/make some test only some
months ago, and for some things seems complex, but for others it's
really exciting and opens to a new way to think at solutions.
In this way my/our experiments here could also be focused on something real ...

> Right - just make sure that you include the appropriate headers.
Ok, and also related reference to Scala license in NOTICE, as noted by
Apache Lawyers (in a simple answer to me, not after a deep analysis,
but should be enough).

> I might suggest putting it in project (another top-level sibling of trunk). We could create a presentation directory there. Todd and I are also planning to present at a local Java user group in June, so this would be a good way to share resources.
Ok, so the first of us that will have something will create that
(main) folder ... my presentation should be written in English (I hope
in a good English too :-) ), so comments/fixes are more than welcome

Thanks again,

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.