Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> on 2005/10/13 06:24:26 UTC

Maven for builds instead of ant?

Does anyone have any experience with using Maven for the build environment
with/instead of Ant?  I am really tired of having to keep the
build.properties up to date on my machine and update everytime I do a new
checkout.  I saw where Maven can be used to grab the desired version from
ibiblio, etc, but I don't know how the rest of our build would translate.  I
need to do more homework.

If anyone has experience or opinions, I would like to hear back.

thanks,
-Mark

Re: Maven for builds instead of ant?

Posted by Alan Gutierrez <al...@engrm.com>.
* Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> [2005-10-13 16:53]:
> Quoting Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>:
>
> > Yep. I have now been exposed to that as a way to do the same bit
> > that Maven does (the sample code I was looking at had a Maven
> > and an Ant script so you could pick and choose). I do plan to
> > add it. Now if only the sun jars could be accessed that way
> > too...or is there a way to access the sun jars this way as well?

> Yeah, that's always a problem.  That's the one case where you'll
> have to point locally.  No way I know of to get around that other
> than store them in source control, but that's probably not
> possible for an open source project given licensing issues.

    I hereby volunteer to create an Ivy resolve task for the Log4J
    project to resolve Log4J dependencies.

    I've preforms real transitive dependency management.

    http://blog.exis.com/colin/archives/2005/03/10/ivy-is-everything-maven-should-havecould-have-been-25-years-ago/
    http://jroller.com/page/webwork2live/20050519
    http://houseofhaug.net/blog/archives/2005/04/13/maven-uninstall/

    I'm not an Ivy developer, but I started using it in my projects
    recently, and it has made a world of difference. Ant is much
    easier to use if you know that your dependencies are going to be
    in the right place.

    Here's the Ivy page.

    http://ivy.jayasoft.com/

    Cheers.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

Re: Maven for builds instead of ant?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>:

> Yep. I have now been exposed to that as a way to do the same bit that Maven
> does (the sample code I was looking at had a Maven and an Ant script so you
> could pick and choose). I do plan to add it. Now if only the sun jars could
> be accessed that way too...or is there a way to access the sun jars this way
> as well?

Yeah, that's always a problem.  That's the one case where you'll have to point
locally.  No way I know of to get around that other than store them in source
control, but that's probably not possible for an open source project given
licensing issues.

Jake

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
If you want to come up with a Maven build file, have a blast.  But the key
thing is maintaining it afterwards: it won't replace the Ant file, but you'd
still have to maintain it current as we change dependencies and stuff...

Yoav

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management
Cambridge, MA, USA

RE: Maven for builds instead of ant?

Posted by Tan Yoke Yew <yy...@infopro.com.my>.
I'm keen of learning new tech, may I know where to get sample to test with
maven?

YY.

> -0.5 on using Maven.  My experience with it has been that it's kind of
> nice for generating project documentation, but for most real-life
> (i.e. complex dependencies, multiple builders on different
> environments) projects, the setup overhead is not worth the benefits.
Actually I do not agree. Maven may force you to structure your project well.
If you can not do your build with maven, your project is in a sick state.
For individual tasks you have to define your own logic - but in this point
there is no difference between ant and maven except for the way you code the
logic.
Did you guyz try maven2? The things that suck in maven are solved in maven2.
It is still in beta status and for site generation it is not very good yet,
but it will rock!

> It is also not as widely used as Ant, and I don't want to raise the
> bar for our users who build log4j themselves without a significant
benefit.

> We should instead keep build.properties.default more suitable for you
> so you have very little (if any) manual build.properties updating to
> do each time.  If we have managed to do it for Tomcat and other more
> complicated products (as we have), we can do it for log4j.
>
> Yoav
Jörg

Posted by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.

Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
Hey,
> -0.5 on using Maven.  My experience with it has been that it's kind of nice for
> generating project documentation, but for most real-life (i.e. complex
> dependencies, multiple builders on different environments) projects, the setup
> overhead is not worth the benefits.
Actually I do not agree. Maven may force you to structure your project well.
If you can not do your build with maven, your project is in a sick state.
For individual tasks you have to define your own logic - but in this point there
is no difference between ant and maven except for the way you code the logic.
Did you guyz try maven2? The things that suck in maven are solved in maven2.
It is still in beta status and for site generation it is not very good yet,
but it will rock!

> It is also not as widely used as Ant, and I don't want to raise the bar for our
> users who build log4j themselves without a significant benefit.
>
> We should instead keep build.properties.default more suitable for you so you
> have very little (if any) manual build.properties updating to do each time.  If
> we have managed to do it for Tomcat and other more complicated products (as we
> have), we can do it for log4j.
>
> Yoav
Jörg

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.