Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "jicman@myway.com" <ji...@myway.com> on 2005/07/02 03:59:44 UTC

adding a directory with difference sources

Greetings!

Please be patient with me...

So, I have this directory, let us call it source.  In that directory exist other directories, such as,

DCTool/
DSClient/
VB/
c/
c#/
c++/
d/
html/
java/
js/
perl/
python/
unix/
vbs/

within each of this directory exist other directories which have code and projects.  So, here is the question ask: I would like to add the head directory, source, to svn and have that be the main head of the svn.  Is this possible?  If so, how can I do it?  I've read a few man pages and all I can get is project commands, but nothing where I could add a whole directory to the svn server.

Thanks,

jos�

Re: adding a directory with difference sources

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Saturday 02 July 2005 05:59, jicman@myway.com wrote:
> So, I have this directory, let us call it source.  In that directory exist
> other directories, such as,
[...]
> within each of this directory exist other directories which have code and
> projects.  So, here is the question ask: I would like to add the head
> directory, source, to svn and have that be the main head of the svn.  Is
> this possible?  If so, how can I do it?

svn import, it's all documented in the book.

> I've read a few man pages and all
> I can get is project commands, but nothing where I could add a whole
> directory to the svn server.

You're confusing something here: Subversion itself has no notion of a
'project', it is (almost) just a versioned storage for files/directories.

The scheme that uses trunk/tags/branches is not part of Subversion itself but
rather a recommendation how to use Subversion, most applicable for storing
software sources. You are free to ignore that recommendation if its ways
don't fit your needs.

Uli