Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Peacock <st...@thesolutiondesigngroup.com> on 2006/04/27 21:04:33 UTC

Blank page after tomcat install

After successfully installing tomcat on a server a couple of weeks ago,
I decided I wanted a local copy to play with.
So I downloaded the tar, extracted it and started tomcat,
When I go to localhost:8080 I get a blank page. Absolutely nothing but
white space. As a matter of fact, I can type anything I want after and
get the same result (http://localhost:8080/helpmeout)

My start up yields:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.17
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.17
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/

java -version yields
java version "1.5.0_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

I am running on Linux

Thanks,

Steven Peacock

Re: Blank page after tomcat install

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
This may or may not be the case, but any time I've ever gotten the
dreaded blank page response, it was caused by an exception processing
the request.  Late enough that an error message couldn't be included in
the response.  What do the logs show?  Are there any errors at the time
of the request?  Also, have you verified no other process is on 8080
instead of tomcat?  Logs will show that to.

--David

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.