Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/08/03 19:38:22 UTC

mod_proxy/2770: FTP proxy over firewall fails (fwd)

Erm... I would suggest that they just shouldn't do that and that their
firewall config is broken.  Even when things are changed to do what they
suggest, they say it doesn't work right so I'm not sure the sense of
changing them.

Either the proxy has to be able to open a connection to the server for the
data transfer or the server has to be able to open a connection to the
proxy.  Period.

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Yep. The firewall has to support either active or passsive FTP, and the
associated ports. Trouble is, lots of people seem to think closing off
all the high-numbered ports is a security win.

PASV is tried first, because it's safer to establish two outbound
connects than to allow an inbound one, perhaps into your internal net.

The proxy should try to establish an active connect if the data connect
for PASV fails.

--
chuck
Chuck Murcko            The Topsail Group             West Chester PA