Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Harry Douglass, Jr." <h....@verizon.net> on 2004/11/04 03:03:34 UTC

Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080

Hello,

I am trying to install Apache Tomcat to run JSP and servlets for the first
time.  When I type in this URL 'http://localhost:8080/' Windows XP prompts
me for a username and password.  I typed in both the username 'admin' and
blank password and a custom username and password when I installed it and I
get an "Unauthorized" web page returned.

When I try running Tomcat from the DOS prompt by typing 'tomcat start', I
see the SEVERE Error message: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080.  I know
I am running IIS, but I want to keep the same port it runs on, and manually
start Tomcat when I need it.

Why can't I get it to work?

Thank you very much in advance,

Harry

Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080

Posted by "Harry Douglass, Jr." <h....@verizon.net>.
When I try running Tomcat from the DOS prompt by typing 'tomcat start', I
see the SEVERE Error message: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080.  I know
I am running IIS on port 80, but I want to keep the same port it runs on,

Re: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
Go into your tomcat-users.xml file in the conf directory. Create an entry
that looks like this:

<user username="myid" password="mypass" roles="tomcat,standard,manager"/>

That should get you into Tomcat okay via the sign-in screen.

Rhino

Posted by Jukka Uusisalo <ju...@dnainternet.net>.
Harry Douglass, Jr. wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to install Apache Tomcat to run JSP and servlets for the first
> time.  When I type in this URL 'http://localhost:8080/' Windows XP prompts
> me for a username and password.  I typed in both the username 'admin' and
> blank password and a custom username and password when I installed it and I
> get an "Unauthorized" web page returned.
>

> When I try running Tomcat from the DOS prompt by typing 'tomcat start', I
> see the SEVERE Error message: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080.  I know
> I am running IIS, but I want to keep the same port it runs on, and manually
> start Tomcat when I need it.
>

> Why can't I get it to work?

Hi,

You have another application running and listening port 8080.

Few days ago I resolved same kind of situation and another application
was Oracle and Oracles XML DB and tomcat installed same windows box.

Configration of Oracle XML DB is in DB, so it was easier to just change
Tomcat port.

- Jukka -

Re: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080

Posted by Ravi Mutyala <ra...@gawab.com>.
Harry Douglass, Jr. wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to install Apache Tomcat to run JSP and servlets for the first
> time.  When I type in this URL 'http://localhost:8080/' Windows XP prompts
> me for a username and password.  I typed in both the username 'admin' and
> blank password and a custom username and password when I installed it and I
> get an "Unauthorized" web page returned.
> When I try running Tomcat from the DOS prompt by typing 'tomcat start', I
> see the SEVERE Error message: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080.  I know
> I am running IIS, but I want to keep the same port it runs on, and manually
> start Tomcat when I need it.
> Harry
There is some other service that is binding to 8080. You can either
identify and stop this service(netstat -a might help).. are change the
port of the Tomcat that you are using. port can be changed in server.xml
in the conf folder. server.xml will have configuration similar to the
folloing.. the port in the below configuration can be changed to some
unused port.

  <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">
port="8080"               minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
                enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
                useURIValidationHack="false"
disableUploadTimeout="true" 		/>
	..
	..
	..
	..

/
Ravi.

RE: Address already in use:JVM_BIND:8080

Posted by Steve Kirk <to...@web-startup.co.uk>.
the "address already in use" error indicates that the port is already in use
by another service (probably IIS from what you've said).  you can't have two
services on the same port.  stop IIS and check that IIS does not still have
hold of port 8080.  use "netstat -a" at the dos prompt to check.