Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com> on 1999/09/15 01:58:39 UTC

Re: Building APR on solaris

Hi,

I try to build, and I have some small  problems.

On solaris:

File: /src/lib/apr/include/apr_lib.h
78a79,82

> #ifdef WIN32
> #include "../include/hsregex.h"
> #elif defined(USE_HSREGEX)
79a84,89
> #else
> #include <regex.h>
> #endif
>
> /* #include "hsregex.h" */

( if USE_HSREGEX is not defined, both regex and hsregex will be included,
regex in ap_config.h and hsregex in apr_lib )

File: src/lib/apr/locks/unix/locks.h
72a73
> #include <sys/fcntl.h>

( for struct  flock )

On Linux: it works with EXTRA_LIBS=-lpthread
It would be nice to have it detected by configure, but I have no ideea
how to do it, there are far too many configure files :-)

Also, htpasswd doesn't build ( missing ap_sha1_base64 ).

All are minor problems, but it would be nice if someone
can check in the changes.

Regards,
Costin

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 09:52:59AM -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
> Changing APR is one thing, including a small ifdef in a header is another.

We'd rather make fixes correctly than introducing one-line ifdefs that
mask the problem. A patch is committed to fix this regex compile
error, and I'll fix the other problem now.

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> OK.  +1 if somebody wants to remove regex from APR.  It's not on my list.
> Far too much going on in my life to bother making this change right now.
> I may get to it in a few weeks if nobody does it before me.

Changing APR is one thing, including a small ifdef in a header is another.
I sent you the diff - it's a conflict between ap_config.h and apr_lib.h, and
it will not compile on any platform that has regex.h. One includes hsregex.h,

and the other checks if USE_HSREGEX is defined and includes regex.h
if not. USE_HSREGEX is a compile option - if someone wants the native
library it should be allowed to...

It's not very important - but if it's a "portable runtime" it should at least

compile.

Regards,
Costin

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.

OK.  +1 if somebody wants to remove regex from APR.  It's not on my list.
Far too much going on in my life to bother making this change right now.
I may get to it in a few weeks if nobody does it before me.

Ryan

Ryan
On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Greg Stein wrote:

> Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 10:04:14AM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > Apache shouldn't need to worry about which regex lib it's using,
> > > it should just use whatever APR provides it with.
> >
> > APR should not provide a regex library. Regex support is pretty much
> > orthogonal to the functions APR provides; there are almost no
> > cross-code dependencies between the two. And, there are at least 3 or
> > 4 different good regex libraries out there that different projects use
> > for different reasons, so there is no reason to tie APR to any one of
> > them.
>
> +1.
>
> APR isn't a catch-all place to put functionality. The regex stuff should
> go into src/lib/ as a peer of APR.
>
> Cheers,
> -g
>
> --
> Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 10:04:14AM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Apache shouldn't need to worry about which regex lib it's using,
> it should just use whatever APR provides it with.

APR should not provide a regex library. Regex support is pretty much
orthogonal to the functions APR provides; there are almost no
cross-code dependencies between the two. And, there are at least 3 or
4 different good regex libraries out there that different projects use
for different reasons, so there is no reason to tie APR to any one of
them.

"Show me an Ethernet collision and I'll show you a network that could
do with one user fewer." -- BOFH

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:07:43PM -0500, Me at IO wrote:
> The poll-regex stuff should probably be moved out of APR, since it
> depends on regex functions in Apache.

*Sigh*. "pool-regex stuff" if that wasn't clear.

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:58:39PM -0700, Costin Manolache wrote: > Hi,
> ( if USE_HSREGEX is not defined, both regex and hsregex will be included,
> regex in ap_config.h and hsregex in apr_lib )

The poll-regex stuff should probably be moved out of APR, since it
depends on regex functions in Apache.

The clouds have rolled in...

Re: Building APR on solaris

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
> File: /src/lib/apr/include/apr_lib.h
> 78a79,82
> >
> > #ifdef WIN32
> > #include "../include/hsregex.h"
> > #elif defined(USE_HSREGEX)
> 79a84,89
> > #else
> > #include <regex.h>
> > #endif
> >
> > /* #include "hsregex.h" */
> >

> ( if USE_HSREGEX is not defined, both regex and hsregex will be included,
> regex in ap_config.h and hsregex in apr_lib )

The proper way to fix this, is to do the proper check for HSREGEX in APR
onfigure script.  This isn't hard to do, and hopefully I'll get to it next
week sometime.  I disagree that the pool-regex stuff should be moved up to
Apache.  Apache shouldn't need to worry about which regex lib it's using,
it should just use whatever APR provides it with.

> File: src/lib/apr/locks/unix/locks.h
> 72a73
> > #include <sys/fcntl.h>
>
> ( for struct  flock )
>
> On Linux: it works with EXTRA_LIBS=-lpthread
> It would be nice to have it detected by configure, but I have no ideea
> how to do it, there are far too many configure files :-)

This should be a simple problem as well, The proper configuration file to
use configure.in in the apr directory.  Again, I can get to this next week
sometime.

> Also, htpasswd doesn't build ( missing ap_sha1_base64 ).

I would need to look into this.  I think htpasswd should be converted to
use APR, just like htdigest was.  This just needs to be done.

> All are minor problems, but it would be nice if someone
> can check in the changes.

As I have said before, send the diffs, or wait until I can get to it next
week.  Unless somebody wants to do it before I get back.  I am just
checking e-mail for the rest of the week.

Ryan