Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Ajay Jain <go...@hotmail.com> on 2014/03/19 20:46:59 UTC

cTAKES handling of fractions in dosage

Hi,
I am running the DrugAggregatePlainTextUMLSProcessor and noticing that cTAKES is not handling fractions for medication dosage correctly.  For example,
"Benadryl 1/2 tsp 3 times daily"
produces a MedicationMention with a dosage of 2.  Having tried different fractions (1/2, 1/3, 2/4, etc.), apparently the dosage is always set to the digit on the right of the '/'.  I am wondering if this is a documented issue with cTAKES (I am using cTAKES version 3.1).  Thanks in advance.
Jain

RE: cTAKES handling of fractions in dosage

Posted by Ajay Jain <go...@hotmail.com>.
Pei,
Thanks.  I also wanted to mention that I have noticed the same behavior when ranges are specified in the context of dosage and frequency.  For example, when I try:
'Take Lipitor 1-2 tabs 3-4 times a day for 7 days', dosage is annotated as '2' and frequency value is annotated as '4'.
Looks like the same pattern is surfacing here (use the latter half) as well.
Best,Jain

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Jain,