Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt <mk...@camden.rutgers.edu> on 2005/02/22 07:20:16 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 working, BUT not outside of webapps/

Is this simply not possible?  I have tried extrapolating form the docs
(which seems to work fine under webapps/ or $CATALINA_HOME) but anything
outside of it fails as badly as the other works perfectly, even if I try
to swap-out webapps/ for an otuside docbase using the <HOST> tag already
present.

There's got to be a file or simple edit that I'm missing for this?
Anyone?

Thanks,
-Matt

Matthew Kozak
Rutgers University-Camden
mkozak@camden.rutgers.edu

Re: Tomcat 5.5 working, BUT not outside of webapps/

Posted by Matt <mk...@camden.rutgers.edu>.
The original $CATALINA_HOME/webapps works fine, yes, but nothing will work
outside of that, so I'm just looking for the steps (and files I need to
edit) to have my own webapps work outside of $CATALINA_HOME/webapps.
That's all - it's quite simple, really.  C:\Inetpub\wwwroot is just a
sample path on my Windows box, so how would I get Tomcat to also work on
files in there, not just $CATALINA_HOME/webapps?  The CONTEXT tag below is
one sample of what I've tried (in server.xml), but it does *not* work.  I
have also edited uriworkermap.properties, but when I do that, Tomcat says
it can't find any resources in that location, so the issue is how to
setup another web applications area/folder/directory properly,
step-by-step, file-by-file.  It seems it shouldn't take more than 5 steps
at most, no?

If it helps, recall that I have setup Tomcat, jk_1.2.8 and my web server
up out of the box and they work just fine with the stock usage and I can
run jsp-examples, BUT I now want to *add* another location besides
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps and have jsp files and servlets work in there as
well, and that location could be (for example's sake) C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
(and anywhere below).

You threw me off when you mentioned $CATALINA_HOME/Catalina/<host>/<some
file>, b/c I *do* have $CATALINA_HOME/localhost/manager.xml, but am
completely clueless as to what that file has to do with server.xml.  You
say I have to delete it to have any of my changes in server.xml to
actually take?  That's the clarification I was looking for, but if I can
address the original issue above (whether it includes this as part of it
ot not) then that'd be the solution with which I'm struggling.

Thanks,
-Matt

Posted by Michael Greer <mi...@earthlink.net>.
Maybe take a look at the current $CATALINA_HOME/Catalina/localhost/
context files. Delete the old ones for your webapp and examples, so it
will reload from server.xml

Posted by Matt <mk...@camden.rutgers.edu>.
Well, I've tried all sorts of configurations, so I was hoping to get a
clean example from someone who had it working.  I changed the stock Tomcat
5.5 server.xml file to add the following (within the pre-existing, as well
as the only, HOST tag for localhost, and I have tried with/without a slash
for path, and with forward or backward slashes in docbase):
<CONTEXT path="" docbase="C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/MYwebapps" debug="0"
reloadable="true" />
...and I have edited the stock Tomcat 5.5 uriworkermap.properties file to

Posted by Michael Greer <mi...@earthlink.net>.