Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/10/06 01:19:19 UTC

target of locationmap rewriteDemo broken (Was: ForrestBot build for forrest-seed FAILED)

Gav.... wrote:
> I guess the problem is here :-
>
>      [java] X [0]
> samples/locationmap/lm:rewriteDemo/index BROKEN: No pipeline matched
> request: samples/locationmap/lm:rewriteDemo/index
>
> Looking ....

It has fixed itself. I assume that the target of
the "rewriteDemo" was not available for some hours.

The highlights the issue that was raised here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112826350500282
Re: locationmaps not working?
... and see the subsequent two messages.

-David

Re: target of locationmap rewriteDemo broken (Was: ForrestBot build for forrest-seed FAILED)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:
>
>>I guess the problem is here :-
>>
>>     [java] X [0]
>>samples/locationmap/lm:rewriteDemo/index BROKEN: No pipeline matched
>>request: samples/locationmap/lm:rewriteDemo/index
>>
>>Looking ....
>

> It has fixed itself. I assume that the target of
> the "rewriteDemo" was not available for some hours.

I checked the server logs. The machine was available and responding to
requests at that time. However, there were serious problems with
minatour.a.o could that be the problem?

Ross

Re: target of locationmap rewriteDemo broken (Was: ForrestBot build for forrest-seed FAILED)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> The code in question :

(can you please respond to thread with comments inline. It make it much
easier to catch up with a thread or read it in the archives when we have
forgotten what the "question" is)

>     <match pattern="rewriteDemo/**">
>       <location src="http://www.burrokeet.org/{1}.html"/>
>     </match>
>     <match pattern="remoteDemo/**.xml">
>       <location
> src="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/main/fresh-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/{1}.xml"/>
>     </match
>
> The target of rewriteDemo is http://burrokeet.org ,
>
> now it may be that this site was down, but it seems more than
> coincidence that these failures were happening at the time of
> when svn was down, but the failure was rewriteDemo not remoteDemo.(?)

rewrite is an external retreiveal.

remote demo was internal (i.e. within apache machines not onto the Internet)

I guess it was a routing problem.

> Anyway, I agree with the comments about creating options for testing.
> I also agree that it is a good facility for testing external broken links,
> it
> should not hold up development or testing of a site just because an external
> link
> is down for some reason. (As in this case, the broken link was temporary
> and not permanent)
>
> If someone wants to point me where I can look to have a go at implementing
> and creating CLI choices - if thats the way you want to go.

Here's my suggestion (not done the necessary investigation work, so it
may not be 100% accurate):

First thing to do is crete an issue (if there isn't one already) and add
links this and the other thread david linked to.

The config property will be in forrest.properties (these can be
overridden from the CLI).

The handling of the porperty and the errors will need to be in the
locationmap java code. I'd suggest that if no match is found for an lm:
entry we look at the property and do one of the following:

1) add "error: Not Found: " to the lm: string so that errors like this
one would appear as "error: Not Found: lm:rewriteDemo/index.html"

or

2) replace the lm: link with "missingExternalPageWarnings.xml" and add
an entry to this document for each reference that is missing, e.g.

<page href="lm:rewriteDemo/index" referrer="xyz.html"/>

Ross

Re: target of locationmap rewriteDemo broken (Was: ForrestBot build for forrest-seed FAILED)

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
The code in question :

[...]

Gav...

The following target of