Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2006/11/03 05:19:15 UTC

standardizing namespaces for the UIMA framework

The earlier versions of the UIMA framework had some built-in namespaces
that reflected the originating company.
When moving to Apache, the team thought these name's prefixes should be
changed to org.apache.

To achieve perhaps even better standardization and stability over the
long haul, how about changing these prefixes to something like org.uima?
-Marshall

Re: standardizing namespaces for the UIMA framework

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
+1

for doing the change later...

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
+1

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 11/3/06, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I would think the org.uima namespace should be reserved for standardized
> UIMA interfaces, originating most likely from OASIS.  Then our
> implementation prefix would still be org.apache.  Other Apache projects
> that implement standards are handling this similarly.  For example, some
> of the interfaces that Xerces implements have a org.xml or org.w3c
> namespace; the implementation is still prefixed with org.apache.
>
> Our interfaces are certainly good candidates for such a standardized
> interfaces, but I'd wait with renaming to a org.uima (or similar)
> namespace until such a proposal is forthcoming from OASIS.

+1

Re: standardizing namespaces for the UIMA framework

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
I would think the org.uima namespace should be reserved for standardized
UIMA interfaces, originating most likely from OASIS.  Then our
implementation prefix would still be org.apache.  Other Apache projects
that implement standards are handling this similarly.  For example, some
of the interfaces that Xerces implements have a org.xml or org.w3c
namespace; the implementation is still prefixed with org.apache.

Our interfaces are certainly good candidates for such a standardized
interfaces, but I'd wait with renaming to a org.uima (or similar)
namespace until such a proposal is forthcoming from OASIS.

--Thilo