Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Jens Goldhammer <go...@googlemail.com> on 2008/05/01 12:50:37 UTC

Re: Nice job on new configuration document

Hi Ruwan,

*generation of pdf:*
it is a good point to have a generation to pdf. I have found some
information on the maven site:
http://maven.apache.org/doxia/index.html

I have read that XDoc is still supported, but is replaced by Apt in general.
http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/xdoc-format.html
http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/apt-format.html

Ok, you use xdoc, so maybe this is a point to generate the pdf?

*what do others according to pdf docs?*
For example, camel uses BOOM CSS in conjunction with Prince to generate
a good looking pdf.

http://activemq.apache.org/camel/pdf-documentation-guide.html
http://www.princexml.com/samples/

But I don´t know how do they get Prince- it is very expensive (except
the personal license)....

*my persional opinion to pdf documentaiton:*
LaTeX is the best way to generate a good looking pdf-documentation. I
have written my thesis with it and it was great to have so many packages
who format my text, listings, figures and tables like I want.
Nevertheless it will be a pain to have two entry points for
documentation- the LaTeX files for pdf and the xdoc files for html. Both
must be kept synchronized. But I would prepare a LaTeX template if you
are interested in! Maybe you say, the documentation on the website and
the pdf have not to be the same.
Maybe, anybody knows a better way?
What´s about docbook?

*general comments/hints:
*- Is there any way to have a autobreak for the source listings, e.g. in
http://synapse.apache.org/Synapse_Configuration_Language.html?
   Some code cannot be read very good...
- My opinion about the website in general is that it would be better to
have a cms or a wiki behind it? It would be great to have changes on the
news site without building and deploying the complete synapse
documentation. (I think, you have a good mechanism on your site wso2.org)
- do you ever think of joining synapse and wso2 esb? I know, Synapse is
hosted at Apache and wso2 esb not, but it would be better for the users
to know that there is one product and you get the admin-ui as a plugin?
Or are there any licence hurdles?

Thanks,
Jens