Posted to xang-dev@xml.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 2003/01/16 22:19:51 UTC

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Ted Leung wrote:

> We ask each subproject to nominate 1 (or 2) people from that project to
> be a part of the XML PMC.  From my experience, I think that it will be
> better to have 2 people rather than one in order to share workload, etc.

Another task we need nominees for (or will let default to these people) is
that of security contact for each the respective projects.

What this implies is that you will act as a filter and coordinator to deal
with the often time criticial, and not always entirely public, process of
analysing a vulnerability; confirming it and working the likes of CERT to
prepare an advisory. Calling in your peers when neccesary.

Should you have any questions about this role; Ben Laurie (ben@apache.org)
leads the ASF wide security coordination effort.

Dw

Re: Xindice under moderate load

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
Sorry I got caught up in trying to get the JRockIt vm working and I missed
that part of your message.

The only java memory settings I have are set with
JAVA_OPTS="-Xms300m -Xmx300m" in my /etc/profile. They were used by Tomcat,
but I am not sure if Jetty (which I now use) picks up those settings.

As for OS memory settings all I have done is increase max_thread_proc to
10000.

What other settings would you recommend?

Cheers,
Lachlan Donald

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
I have posted previously about my major problems with Xindice and
OutOfMemory errors with no resolution so I went off and did some research
into possible causes of the problem.

My application is a content management system written in PHP. Web pages are
built by retrieving xml from Xindice and transforming it to XHTML with
xslts. I know that having to fetch content every time a web page is loaded
is a bad idea performance wise, hence the future plans are to cache the
output and allow sites to be bulk published via ftp like blogger.com does
it.

So I have about 5 sites that are being driven from this system, all of these
sites generate pretty small amounts of traffic, I would say a maximum of
200-300 hits a day per site. My problem is that I now have daily (sometimes
bi-daily) Xindice crashes with OutOfMemory exceptions.

Initially I thought it might be a systems problem so I added some more
memory and tried a variety of different servlet containers, first Tomcat,
then Jetty, then I tried a variety of Sun JDK's (couldn't get JRockIt to
run). It crashed consistantly in all of them.

My theory is that something in the Xindice system is having problems with
concurrant access (e.g too many threads). The OutOfMemory exceptions occur
when Xindice has 40+ threads running and lots of concurrant requests. From
what I have read Java throws this error when it can't create any more
threads.

The other thing I have read a few places is that Xerces is quite prone to
crashing with the OutOfMemory error when it is trying to parse specific
malformed xml, but I am pretty sure all of my XML is well formed before it
even gets to Xerces.

Any suggestions of what I can do? I have been pulling my hairs out at a
rather rapid rate :)

Cheers,
Lachlan Donald

Re: xml.apache.org refactoring #1

Posted by Jörg Walter <eh...@ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de>.
Hi AxKitters...

On Thursday, 16. January 2003 22:19, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Ted Leung wrote:
> > We ask each subproject to nominate 1 (or 2) people from that project to
> > be a part of the XML PMC.  From my experience, I think that it will be
> > better to have 2 people rather than one in order to share workload, etc.
>
> Another task we need nominees for (or will let default to these people) is
> that of security contact for each the respective projects.
>
> What this implies is that you will act as a filter and coordinator to deal
> with the often time criticial, and not always entirely public, process of
> analysing a vulnerability; confirming it and working the likes of CERT to
> prepare an advisory. Calling in your peers when neccesary.

So I guess we have to choose, have we? I myself would do some stuff, but I
have no idea what a PMC is or what work it would be, so *shrug*. Doing
email-based support is well within my capabilities, time-wise, and my
connectivity problems have been sorted out as well, so I volunteer.
What for is a different matter. Any suggestions welcome, and an explanation
what a PMC is or where I find an explanation would be greatly appreciated. I
didn't find any info on xml.apache.org

--
CU
  Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94