Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com> on 2006/02/02 15:55:44 UTC

jackrabbit fit my needs?

I have been going over the docs and hoping to have some confirmation
before I commit further.

I am looking to implement a library (in tapestry) that would allow users
to upload and display content within a webapp (images, html, etc).  I
would like to abstract the content storage so that it can be stored in
webdav, dbms, file system, etc...

By writing my library with jackrabbit, would I be giving the users of my
library the capability of using these other repo's, while still working
"out of the box" with a filesystem?

Thanks.

Re: jackrabbit fit my needs?

Posted by Peeter Piegaze <pe...@day.com>.
On 2/2/06, Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com> wrote:

> I have been going over the docs and hoping to have some confirmation
> before I commit further.
>
> I am looking to implement a library (in tapestry) that would allow users
> to upload and display content within a webapp (images, html, etc).  I
> would like to abstract the content storage so that it can be stored in
> webdav, dbms, file system, etc...
>
> By writing my library with jackrabbit, would I be giving the users of my
> library the capability of using these other repo's, while still working
> "out of the box" with a filesystem?

Depends what you mean. Obviously Jackrabbit is not a magic integration
device that somehow automatically provides a single API for accessing
existing legacy content stored in repositories, databases and
filesystems that you already have lying around.

But Jackrabbit can be configured to store (new) content using a
variety of different underlying storage mechanisms (databases, file
systems etc.).

The real point of Jackrabbit is that it is an implementation of JCR.
If you wrote your library using JCR (not 'Jackrabbit' per se) the
advantange would be that you could then also use the same library with
other JCR implementations.

That's the actual *point* of Jackrabbit. The fact that a number of
persistence managers are available is not really the core issue.

Cheers,
Peeter

Re: jackrabbit fit my needs?

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yes this is possible to do it with Jackrabbit but a lot of work has to
be done for the user interface, ...

FYI, you can find the same kind of features in Graffito
(http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/) with ACL, folders management,
permission check,  predefined user interface, ...  it based on
Jetspeed (which should support Tapestry portlets).  Currently, we are
working on a JCR/Jackrabbit support. It should be finished in 1 or 2
months.

--
Best regards,

Christophe