Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Peter Rohne <pr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/05/11 17:46:27 UTC

removal of actionForPhase

I noticed in bug TOMAHAWK-190 that the actionForPhase attribute was removed
from commandLink and commandButton because it wasn't working. Is there a
plan to fix this and bring it back and if so when?

Peter Rohne
IT Architect
IBM Business Consulting Services
400 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB. R3B 3M3

cellular: (204) 797-4149
office: (204) 934-2683
prohne@ca.ibm.com

Re: svn problem

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
There is a problem in the server that hosts the svn repository. The
infrastructure team is working on that. Hopefully it will be solved in
the next hours!

Bruno

svn problem

Re: removal of actionForPhase

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

yes, you're right. With JSF1.1 and JSP, you'll have to write your
custom validation logic in the backing bean for this to work.

so two options:

1 - write your own validation logic
2 - switch over to facelets.

regards,

Martin

On 5/11/06, Peter Rohne <pr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> On inspection of the validate logic I see what you're saying. The
> validation phase cannot be skipped because this is where the value gets
> populated from the submitted value. I don't see a reason to bring
> actionForPhase back.
>
> Here is a simplified description of my problem. Tell me if there is a way
> to do this.
> - My page has two buttons (button1 and button2) and one input field
> (input1)
> - input1 is required when button1 is clicked
> - input1 is not required when button2 is clicked, but must be updated in
> the model as long as conversion doesn't fail (In my case input1 is a
> number. So as long as it can be converted to BigDecimal).
>
> BTW - I tried to use the optional validation framework but it doesn't work
> with JSF 1.1 and JSP.  I'm told it is failing on the wrapped validators.
>
> Peter Rohne
> IT Architect
> IBM Business Consulting Services
> 400 Ellice Avenue
> Winnipeg, MB. R3B 3M3
>
> cellular: (204) 797-4149
> office: (204) 934-2683
> prohne@ca.ibm.com
>

>              "Martin
>              Marinschek"
>              <martin.marinsche                                          To
>              k@gmail.com>              "MyFaces Discussion"
>                                        <us...@myfaces.apache.org>
>              05/11/2006 01:04                                           cc
>              PM
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: removal of actionForPhase
>              Please respond to
>                  "MyFaces
>                 Discussion"
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> I've rethought about this attribute, and consider it invalid for the
> usecase I originally intended it for. What I wanted to do was optional
> validation. Now optional validation is nonsense, if in the update
> model phase the values won't be passed over from the submitted value
> attribute of the components to the backing bean.
>
> do you have a valid usecase for reenabling it?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 5/11/06, Peter Rohne <pr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> >

> > I noticed in bug TOMAHAWK-190 that the actionForPhase attribute was
> removed
> > from commandLink and commandButton because it wasn't working. Is there a
> > plan to fix this and bring it back and if so when?

> [...]

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: removal of actionForPhase

Posted by Peter Rohne <pr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.