Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com> on 2010/02/01 17:02:08 UTC

Re: got any really killer XSLTs???

Hi, Adam.

Adam Jenkins <ad...@yahoo.com.au> wrote on 01/25/2010
12:33:23 AM:
> Over the coming months, I'm going to be messing around with the
> Xalan code a bit, trying out a few things...and I want to start with
> a few killer benchmarks...so I can see if my changes have any
> performance impacts.
>
> If anyone has some really killer XSLTs...you know the ones....that
> create heaps of objects, or take 10 minutes to run...that kinds
> stuff...that aren't proprietary, I'd really appreciate you emailing
> me a copy to use as a benchmark.
>
> That way I can set up some good profiling before work.

I just wanted to mention something you should keep in mind when you're
doing this:  the stylesheets that take many minutes to run processing a
single input are interesting and important, but at least as important are
stylesheets that will be running on a server, processing hundreds of
requests per second.

If you can find a copy of the XSLTMark benchmark tests anywhere, you might
want to try them out - they aren't necessarily the best, and don't
necessarily reflect typical usage on a server, but there haven't been many
other XSLT benchmark tests published.

Something else to consider - most of the performance work that's been
carried out in the Apache Xalan-Java project, other than early on in the
project's history, has been focused on the XSLTC processor rather than on
the Xalan-J interpreter.

Thanks,

Henry
Henry Zongaro
XML Transformation & Query Development
IBM Canada Lab   T/L 313-6044;  Phone +1 905 413-6044
mailto:zongaro@ca.ibm.com