Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Evgeny Kotkov via dev <de...@apr.apache.org> on 2023/04/12 15:12:38 UTC

Release APR 1.7.4?

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, one of the fixes in APR 1.7.3 that was authored by me has
caused a significant regression, where writing to files opened with both
APR_FOPEN_APPEND and APR_FOPEN_BUFFERED now may not properly append
the data on Windows.  The issue has been reported in [1].

Compared to the potential impact of the regression, the original fix seems
be of lesser concern, so I reverted the change in r1909088 [2] and
backported
it to 1.7.x in r1909095 [3].

Would it be feasible to release 1.7.4 with a fix for this regression?

(I can try to RM if needed, although in such a case it would be my first
time
 preparing an APR release.)

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/56gnyc3tc0orjh5mfsqo9gpq1br59b01
[2] https://svn.apache.org/r1909088
[3] https://svn.apache.org/r1909095

Thanks,
Evgeny Kotkov

Re: Release APR 1.7.4?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 4/12/23 5:12 PM, Evgeny Kotkov via dev wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Unfortunately, one of the fixes in APR 1.7.3 that was authored by me has
> caused a significant regression, where writing to files opened with both
> APR_FOPEN_APPEND and APR_FOPEN_BUFFERED now may not properly append
> the data on Windows.  The issue has been reported in [1].
>
> Compared to the potential impact of the regression, the original fix seems to
> be of lesser concern, so I reverted the change in r1909088 [2] and backported
> it to 1.7.x in r1909095 [3].
>
> Would it be feasible to release 1.7.4 with a fix for this regression?

In general I think it is a good idea to do a release to fix this regression.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: Release APR 1.7.4?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 12:15 PM Evgeny Kotkov
<ev...@visualsvn.com> wrote:

> Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Do we want to include r1909117 in 1.7.4 (to call abort() instead of
> > assert() in apr_base64 when NDEBUG)?
> > Sorry for the lateness, but should there be an -rc2 (or in any case..).
>
> If I recall correctly, APR 1.7.x doesn't have apr_base64, because it is a
> part of APR-util in that timeline.

Ah yes sorry for the noise, I keep forgetting which ones are in apr or
in apr-util :)

Regards;
Yann.

Re: Release APR 1.7.4?

Posted by Evgeny Kotkov via dev <de...@apr.apache.org>.

Re: Release APR 1.7.4?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release APR 1.7.4?

Posted by Evgeny Kotkov via dev <de...@apr.apache.org>.
Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> writes:

> I will RM but it might be a bit piecemeal between now and the weekend.
>   At the mercy of a lot of inflexible $bigco stuff.
>
> Hoping to improve a little this time by porting more of icings amazing
> httpd release work.

Awesome, thanks!

Regards,
Evgeny Kotkov