Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/07 18:57:32 UTC

Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Hey all,

When setting up the namenode, some of the commands that we run are:
hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp
hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 /tmp

This has worked for previous CDH releases of Hadoop.

We recently upgraded our test cluster to CDH 4.1 and the chmod no longer
works.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 /tmp
chmod: chmod : mode '1777' does not match the expected pattern.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod -R +t /tmp
chmod: chmod : mode '+t' does not match the expected pattern.

This disagrees with the docs here:
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDH4DOC/Deploying+MapReduce+v1+%28MRv1%29+on+a+Cluster#DeployingMapReducev1%28MRv1%29onaCluster-Step7

Has anyone else encountered this? Let me know if you need more information,
and thanks for your time.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Brian,

I am not seeing this trouble on a similar version locally:

harsh@~]$ hadoop fs -ls
drwxr-xr-x   - harsh harsh          0 2012-09-28 04:21 outfoo
[harsh@~]$ hadoop fs -chmod 1777 outfoo
[harsh@~]$ hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 outfoo
[harsh@~]$ hadoop fs -chmod -R +t outfoo
[harsh@~]$

What is your JVM/Java version? There's one known issue with Java 7
(vs. 6) that may break things in the regex areas (I recall Oozie
facing a similar issue with one of the Patterns it was using). Make
sure you use Java 6 (1.6) for now, until there's been more testing
with Java 7 for Hadoop/etc.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Brian,

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Brian,

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Brian,

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for following up Brian. I'll try to reproduce this out with
some more version hints from your post just in case we aren't missing
anything bad.

Also, in future, if your problem feels CDH-specific, please do mail
the cdh-user@cloudera.org lists instead of the Apache ones (Groups:
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cdh-user).

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by Brian Derickson <bd...@gmail.com>.

RE: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Posted by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca>.
[...]

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential, subject to copyright and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use, copying or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete and contact the sender immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. AVIS : le pr?sent courriel et toute pi?ce jointe qui l'accompagne sont confidentiels, prot?g?s par le droit d'auteur et peuvent ?tre couverts par le secret professionnel. Toute utilisation, copie ou divulgation non autoris?e est interdite. Si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire pr?vu de ce courriel, supprimez-le et contactez imm?diatement l'exp?diteur. Veuillez penser ? l'environnement avant d'imprimer le pr?sent courriel

RE: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

RE: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

RE: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)