Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de> on 2012/01/01 09:43:12 UTC

[BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 1/1/2012 12:43 AM, Mechtilde wrote:

Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 19:41 +0100, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> Just to clarify. Mechtilde is a contributor since day 0 - 7 years. She
> is one of the moast experienced QA here, and a verry skilled manual
> tester. So she is not a newbe at all.
>
> I build only for mac, for linux i point to the Buildbot too. If this
> builds don't work for a Linux distribution it is a serios problem, so
> it's right to bring it on the list.
>
> What Mechtilde miss, are de frequently snapshots from the project it
> self, not from same contributors. The test build should be from the same
> mashine as the final release. You can build AOO on two computers with
> Linux, you will have two different builds even you use the same revision.
>
> For this reason, test builds has to come from the same mashin as the
> release. For my point of view it's not a good idea to use a contributors
> computer for it. So the main plattform Wendows, Linux, Mac realy need a
> Buildbot, and this is not a "nice to have" it's a *realy urgent task*
>
> And if one of this Buildbot produce unusable builds, then we have a
> serios problem.

+1

and just to confirm - I'm using Ariels builds because they work, and I
have not been able to say the same about the builds from the buildbot so
far.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Ariel's unofficial developer builds are now linked to from the podling site.

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/developer-faqs.html#where_can_i_download_developer_builds

Rob setup this FAQ earlier today and when Ariel posted just now I added the link to her page.

Good luck,

Certainly the goal for the nightly builds is to do this on a nightly basis ... but that is critical work in progress.

Go builders! Go testers!

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: [BUILD] EPM for building packages - was [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 1/4/12 11:09 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 1/4/2012 11:44 AM, Andrew Rist wrote:
>> I am trying to create the buildbots so that there is now magical
>> secret sauce to keep them working.
>> Thus, I am trying to create a 'recipe' for creating the build machine
>> which includes:
>>
>> * vanilla version of an OS (Ubuntu 10.04 as a starting point for
>> buildbots so far)
>> * a set of dependencies (which I am currently creating as a set of
>> apt-get commands for the machine)
>> * a script for running the build (which is translated into the
>> buildbot config file)
>>
>> I practice these on my machine and once they are stable and
>> repeatable, then they are ready for deploy as a buildbot.
>> I am wary of steps that include building and deploying patched
>> software outside of this process.
>>
>> EPM is currently in this category. What is our best solution for EPM?
>>
>> 1. find a dependency that can be repeatably loaded in the dependencies
>> list
>> 2. create a configure option of --with-EPM-path=<URL> and download and
>> build a patched EPM during the build
> like the existing option of --with-epm-url, for instance....
> seriously, I got it now, and I'm implementing this into buildbot.
> I think this needs to be added into the ./configure --help

it is already listed in configure --help.

Juergen

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group

[BUILD] EPM for building packages - was [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 07:41:35PM +0100, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > Just to clarify. Mechtilde is a contributor since day 0 - 7 years.
> > She is one of the moast experienced QA here, and a verry skilled
> > manual tester. So she is not a newbe at all.
> >
> > I build only for mac, for linux i point to the Buildbot too. If this
> > builds don't work for a Linux distribution it is a serios problem,
> > so it's right to bring it on the list.
> >
> > What Mechtilde miss, are de frequently snapshots from the project it
> > self, not from same contributors. The test build should be from the
> > same mashine as the final release. You can build AOO on two
> > computers with Linux, you will have two different builds even you
> > use the same revision.
> >
> > For this reason, test builds has to come from the same mashin as the
> > release. For my point of view it's not a good idea to use a
> > contributors computer for it. So the main plattform Wendows, Linux,
> > Mac realy need a Buildbot, and this is not a "nice to have" it's a
> > *realy urgent task*
> >
> > And if one of this Buildbot produce unusable builds, then we have a
> > serios problem.
>
> Those build are unusable due to the EPM version, a subject that has been
> discussed since the epm removal, so I have no idea why the buildboot
> ended with a system epm.
>
> IMO the Linux build boot should produce also RPM packages, not only
> DEBs. And nightly builds are useful for keeping the code base buildable,
> but for testing purposes it would be more useful a weekly developer
> snapshot.

+1

I'm not sure its worth anyone's time to try to do distro-specific builds.
If we can get out RPM and Deb packaging, that would be great!

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

MzK

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends
 with strange cats."
                                                  -- *Colonial American
proverb*

Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Hi Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 15:34 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > My thoughts on this - the application, the physical distribution files,
>> > should take precedence for branding purpose.
>> >

>> And why cannot we do both?
>
> We can, of course.
>
> It's a judgment call regarding timing and sequence.
>
> My primary reason for advocating that particular sequence is as an
> attempt to control, finesse if you will, the conversation in the
> extended user community and media.
>
> As Graham pointed out a few times, rightfully, there are certain at
> which is natural interest - this next few weeks I would expect to one of
> those.
>
> I believe that the change to the top level branding on the website,
> particularly if that coincides with an announcement (blog, email, etc)
> as discussed in another thread, will generate a certain level of
> conversation.

The number of people who visit the website right now == small

The number of people who will visit the website when we have a 3.4
release == very large

The number of users who will even notice work-in-progress with the
rebranding before 3.4 releases == a fraction of small

The number of users who will be harmed by work work-in-progress with
the rebranding before 3.4 releases == zero

The effort to enable staging of rebranding so it all shows up on the
website for the first time coordinated with the 3.4 release == more
than zero

The effort to include mention of the rebranding along with other
communications about the 3.4 release when it happens == almost zero

Volunteering to help with rebranding communications when the time
comes and to help with rebranding on the web site now == Rob

Volunteering to set up staging for the rebranding so it can be flipped
on with a switch later == ?

Remember, when we get close to the 3.4 release, we're all going to be
very busy with other things, both anticipated and not anticipated.
The stuff that can be done now should be done now.  You don't want to
end load tasks like this.   What is easy to do, and has practically
the same impact, is to delay blog posts, and other far-reaching
announcements of the rebranding until the 3.4 release comes out.

My $0.02

-Rob

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 11:47 -0800, Dave Fisher wrote:

>> > This is indeed an on going project.  I am trying to work with infrastructure to get this up and running.  As such, the infrastructure team is a limited resource, and basically, we are waiting for our turn.  (right now they are dealing with other fires, like someone who uploaded a 9GB website and pushed CMS right to the edge...  DAVE  ;-)
>>
>> The only sledgehammer build coming will be when we pull the trigger on the logo change. Otherwise everything is a vertical.
>>
>> > This is moving forward, a little patience is in order.
>>
>> I'm sure that stable templates and extensions is taking some of Gavin's attention away from the buildbot. What's our priority?
>
> My thoughts on this - the application, the physical distribution files,
> should take precedence for branding purpose.

And why cannot we do both?  After all, there are volunteers who can

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
See the page- that is properly descriptive so is ok from
my standpoint.  Something similar with a buildbot link
is certainlyreasonable.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Mechtilde,

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 09:45:01PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> I doubt this is going to happen. linux distros have switched to LO, and
>>> I guess Canonical, RedHat, Suse, ..., have interest in building a brand,
>>> so you cannot expect their interest in supporting packaging and distributing
>>> AOO; in conclusion, AOO relies on a "universal" Linux package.
>>
>> I expect that some Linux-based distributions will continue shipping
>> LibreOffice by default (or what they call LibreOffice; in most cases
>> this was simply a name change, since they were actually distributing
>> ooo-build, closer to LibreOffice than to OpenOffice.org but
>> different from both, under the name "OpenOffice.org" and later under
>> the name "LibreOffice"; I think they are progressively aligning with
>> LibreOffice now, which is good since users were often confused by
>> customizations).
>>
>> But there is no reason to think that Apache OpenOffice will be kept
>> out of the official repositories; most distributions already offer a
>> dozen browsers and half a dozen office programs, so it is surely
>> possible to get Apache OpenOffice in the most common distributions.
>
> packaging a browser cannot be compared to packaging AOO. What I meant is
> that you can not expect RedHat, Canonical, Suse, etc to pay resources to
> package AOO. I guess (= I never packaged OOo myself, thought I have
> packaged some trivial stuff for Fedora) packaging AOO will require
> a very experienced packager.

you are right and the only chance I see is that users ask for it. To
make this happen we have to deliver a good product that users want and
that they would prefer over a pre-installed LibreOffice. Especially when
it comes to commercial usage in companies this can be a key factor to
convince the distros to provide AOO as well.

Juergen

Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:32:10AM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Normally the office would come via the distro and would have been build for
>> the distro and the specific versions of the system libraries. This is much
>> easier and i hope we can achieve this state in the future...
> I doubt this is going to happen. linux distros have switched to LO, and
> I guess Canonical, RedHat, Suse, ..., have interest in building a brand,
> so you cannot expect their interest in supporting packaging and distributing
> AOO; in conclusion, AOO relies on a "universal" Linux package.

I expect that some Linux-based distributions will continue shipping
LibreOffice by default (or what they call LibreOffice; in most cases
this was simply a name change, since they were actually distributing
ooo-build, closer to LibreOffice than to OpenOffice.org but different
from both, under the name "OpenOffice.org" and later under the name
"LibreOffice"; I think they are progressively aligning with LibreOffice
now, which is good since users were often confused by customizations).

But there is no reason to think that Apache OpenOffice will be kept out
of the official repositories; most distributions already offer a dozen
browsers and half a dozen office programs, so it is surely possible to
get Apache OpenOffice in the most common distributions.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.