Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org> on 2012/06/01 13:50:29 UTC

Re: Can the one proposing a vote cast his vote?

Hi,

I was wondering how other projects under the ASF umbrella handle the
question, whether the one calling a vote should always stay neutral or
whether he should be allowed to cast his vote.

Or is it assumed that the one proposing a vote automatically approves
his proposal with a +1?

I had found http://s.apache.org/IqE from the Avalon project that
summarizes the voting process very well. My particular question wasn't
answered in it though, so I discussed that topic with Ross Gardler,
where he gave some good advise and allowed me to share it:
> You should vote. Unless you formally record your vote it will not be
> counted.
>
> In some cases other factors might make your impartiality questionable,
> e.g. you may be nominating a new committee who is a work colleague. In
> such circumstances you may choose to declare your relationship when you
> make the nomination or when you vote. However, since everyone is an
> individual in the ASF this is not required.
>
> If there is a genuine conflict of interest you need to recuse yourself
> from the vote. This might happen in circumstances such as requesting PMC
> approval of the projects trademarks for an event sponsored by your employer.

Are there additional criteria one should consider or are there any other
opinions on this topic?

Herbert

RE: Can the one proposing a vote cast his vote?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Yes, I agree that the Robert's Rules of Order don't apply to a PMC chair, who might or might not adopt such a practice for personal reasons.  I mentioned the conventional chairperson practice by way of contrast.

In accordance with the Apache Way, it appears to me that [P]PMC deliberations are under a "committee of the whole" principle.

 - Dennis

Posted by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Baifern Punyapat <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Baifern Punyapat <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Baifern Punyapat <pu...@gmail.com>.
เมื่อ วันจันทร์ที่ 4 มิถุนายน ค.ศ. 2012 Baifern Punyapat <
punyapat.pb@gmail.com> เขียนว่า:

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> Generally (ideally?) people cast their vote in a separate email. Even
> wait a little while before doing so.
>
> You're obviously partial - you wouldn't call the vote otherwise! But
> keep that separate from the actual vote message itself.

I agree that the vote should be explicit.  However, I don't see any reason not
to tack "Here's my +1" on to the end of the email calling the VOTE.

FWIW we have that built into our Release Manager email template for calling
VOTEs on release candidates (<http://s.apache.org/tT9>).

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Can the one proposing a vote cast his vote?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Generally (ideally?) people cast their vote in a separate email. Even
wait a little while before doing so.

You're obviously partial - you wouldn't call the vote otherwise! But
keep that separate from the actual vote message itself.

Regards, Upayavira