Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/15 23:36:26 UTC

Re: [users] Colors in Options

Hello Eustace,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 01:44:39AM -0400, Eustace wrote:
> 2 questions on colors:
>
> (1) In the Options > OpenOffice.org > Appearance > Custom colors,
> some elements have a check box in front and other do not have one.
> What's the difference?

You can see the difference with the following example:

* create a new text document
* select Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Appearance
* in the General category, change the Text boundaries options as
* follows:
** change the color setting from Automatic to Blue
* press Ok to confirm your changes

Now, back to the text document, the text boundaries are blue.

Then go back to the Tools - Options dialog, and uncheck the check box in front of
the Text boundaries option.
Confirm your changes.
Back to the document, it has NO text boundaries, because unchecking that
options turns them off.

boundaries are blue again.

> Does unchecking an element that you have
> changed makes the color setting automatic?

no unchecking an element turns the setting off (that's the meaning of
that column "On", checking turns the element on, uncheching turns it
off).

> In that case, if an
> element is set to automatic, it shouldn't matter if the checkbox is
> checked or not, right?

No. If the element color is set to automatic, but the element is off (=
unchecked), the element won't be displayed:
* if text boundaries are off, no text boundaries are displayed
* if Field shading is off, fields won't be highlighted with a color shade
* etc.

> (2) Since I use white on blue color scheme in my system, the title
> lines in the same dialog (eg. General, Text Document, HTML Document)
> have a gray background (132, 132, 132) which makes the white text
> difficult to read. What is the element that I should change to make
> the title line background darker?

Looking at the code
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/file/12fa3ee3d107/cui/source/options/optcolor.cxx#l847
it seems the background color of the categories is hard-coded to
COL_LIGHTGRAY, that is
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/file/12fa3ee3d107/tools/inc/tools/color.hxx#l72
RGB( 0xC0, 0xC0, 0xC0) in hex, or (192, 192, 192) in decimal (I have no idea why it
gives you 132, 132, 132).

So the answer is no, you can't change that. You'll have to submit a bug
report.

Finally, please notice that OpenOffice.org is now a project incubating
at Apache, and this mailing list may soon be shut down, so you should
subscribe to the new mailing list at Apache:

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina